growing plums from stone

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• growing plums from stone

A friend of my mums phoned me this morning to say she had been to a restaurant that had plum trees in their grounds and she had brought back a stone as they were amazing tasting. she asked if there is any way to grow it on but i have no idea so wandered if anyone has ever done it and if so, when is best time to plant it and what kind of compost?
    thanks

You can certainly grow a plum from a stone but it may bear no resemblance to the one tasted.

Most varieties are grafted onto rootstocks which control the vigour of the tree. This enables you to plant the correct sized tree for whatever application you have. With a stone grown tree, you will have no idea if it will grow 6' or 60' tall. It may crop prolifically, it may not, it may taste wonderful, it may not.

It would be far safer to ask what variety it was if possible and then buy a grafted tree of that cultivar.

However, if you fancy taking a chance and dont mind waiting a few years, there is every chance that your stone will turn out to be everything it should be.

Go on, give it a try!!!

You can plant it now in a soil based compost and leave it outside somewhere sheltered but not kept warm. I may well show its face come the spring.
    Last edited by pigletwillie; 11-01-2007, 04:48 PM.

Comment

thanks very much. ive been trying to find out today and alot of websites say its not reliable and better to get a cutting.

Comment

Worse still ,if grown on its own roots many plum trees sucker everywhere, and I mean EVERYWHERE!

Comment

Inshops have/had Victoria plums grafted on to a dwarfing rootstock for £4.99 each so at this price, is it really worth it?
          Having said that there's nothing to stop you growing one, just to see if you can, as long as you don't build your hopes up too much. If nothing else, you will have quite an ornamental tree and your grandchildren may appreciate any plums they get!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I don't know about plums, but we've had an apricot start to shoot in our backyard from a stone that was thrown down last summer.
            I noticed it the other day so potted it up and put a plastic bag over the pot to give it a chance. Was going to keep quiet for a bit and see if it survived,but couldn't resist telling you all. I had one that grew a few years ago and gave it to a neighbour when I moved, so can hope with this one.
            As far as I can see it was lying on the soil and the case split open and the root started. Perhaps needs to be outside to do it?

Comment

hi there new to the forum can anyone tell me if I can grow plums in container on the patio, I dont have room to put it in the ground. If so what size of container, soil etc.,
              cheers

Comment

Can't answer your question Farmer Bell, but welcome to the Grapevine! Hope you enjoy it.
                ~
                Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Hi Farmer Bell
                  I'm not really sure, but could they be a candidate for 'bonsai' treatment?
                  If you have them in a big pot and keep the roots trimmed to match the tops you might be lucky? Perhaps I'm p-ing in the wind here? Might be worth an experiment, especially if you can get a stone to grow???

Comment

Dwarf plum trees

Welcome to the vine Farmer Bell. You can certainly grow dwarf plum trees which do normal sized fruit in containers. Here's a link to a site which sells them.
                    Dwarf Plum Trees

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Hi FB and welcome to the Vine.

You could grow a Minnarette plum and plant it in a big pot with some John Innes No3. These grow as columns so don't take up much room.
                      Last edited by nick the grief; 05-02-2007, 08:37 PM.
                      ntg
                      Never be afraid to try something new.
                      Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                      A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                      ==================================================

Comment

I have just planted about 15 d'Agen prune stones in a small back garden
                        not sure what may happen, I ate the prunes last night
                        one stone kind of split open as I pushed it into the ground
                        does anyone know how many years it will take to show evidence if any?

Comment

I once did some germination tests on fruit pips and stones.
                          They must be free from any parts of the fruit, which inhibit germination.
                          The seeds/pips/stones generally need a period of cold to mimic winter, followed by planting.
                          The seeds/pips often don't germinate if stored for too long.

If fresh seeds are given the winter chill and then planted, they should germinate in a few weeks, depending on temperature.
                          The seeds will not be "true to type" as the other parent is unknown, but they may have some similarities to the variety which produced them. There will be considerable differences in the vigour, disease resistance, tolerance of soil type/climate, age of cropping, quantity of fruit produced and the quality of fruit.
                          Seeds are a gamble. A few will produce a decent variety on a par with its parent. The majority will be inferior in one way or another, but may still be satisfactory.

Comment

Originally posted by madderbat View Post
                            Hi Farmer Bell
                            I'm not really sure, but could they be a candidate for 'bonsai' treatment?
                            If you have them in a big pot and keep the roots trimmed to match the tops you might be lucky? Perhaps I'm p-ing in the wind here? Might be worth an experiment, especially if you can get a stone to grow???
                            i am 2 years into growing a plum seedling found under my victoria plum,so i will get the blossom bonsai but have to remove the fruit ,on my crab apple the fruits from this seedling are really small,so they are left on,i have another plum yougster that will be put into a cut down dustbin (plastic) ,same as my peach tree,give it a go as if you dont,you wont know if you would be successful...might be something new,different shape or taste..i have grown oriental poppies for sme years ,only one colour, now have 4 colours from various seedlings that have popped up,just enjoy.....

Comment

Originally posted by madderbat View Post
                              I don't know about plums, but we've had an apricot start to shoot in our backyard from a stone that was thrown down last summer.
                              I noticed it the other day so potted it up and put a plastic bag over the pot to give it a chance. Was going to keep quiet for a bit and see if it survived,but couldn't resist telling you all. I had one that grew a few years ago and gave it to a neighbour when I moved, so can hope with this one.
                              As far as I can see it was lying on the soil and the case split open and the root started. Perhaps needs to be outside to do it?
                              I did that with a peach stone about 3/ years ago. All I can say is don't bother, if you want a peach tree, go and buy a peach tree, because if it's anything like mine, the fruits are fused and drop off at 5mm size. Dont get me wrong, when it's the first thing to blossom in the garden, it's really pretty, but I'll never get viable fruit from it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X