Growing Toadstools with my Leeks

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growing Toadstools with my Leeks

About 10 days ago I planted some leek seeds in toilet rolls and put them in the heated propagator. I've just gone in to move them out as they are now at the crook stage and I've noticed grey toadstools/mushroom/fungi things growing out the sides of a couple of toilet rolls, where would these have come from, the compost? And will it harm the leeks in anyway?

Thanks
    Bex

Hello Bex, No expert on fungus here, but interesting question. Yes, the fungus could have come from your compost. But is it all on the outside of the rolls. If yes, why is there none on the inside if it came from the compost. Was it the same compost. Or could the fungus spores have come from your own hands when you handled the outside of the rolls. Then there's the rolls themselves. Where had they been stored.
    Sorry to be more questions than answers, but it all needs looked at.
    As for the leeks, I think they will be fine if you rid them of the competition. See what everyone else thinks. Good luck.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

In the warm humis environment I bet its just a mould growing on the cardboard, just pull, scrape or wipe it off and carry on.

Comment

Thanks both! I don't know where the fungus could have come from but it was growing very well. I have now cleared all fungus away so will just have to keep an eye out.
        Bex

Comment

Anyone know the difference between a toadstool and poisonous mushroom???
          ( ps - it's not a joke by the way!!!! )
          Last edited by Nicos; 10-01-2007, 10:22 PM.
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

No, but unless poeple are absolutely sure about what they are looking at they shouldn't even think about eating them.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

As far as I know Nicos there isn't any difference. Toadstools and mushrooms are usually thought of as the classic 'pixie perch' with a stalk and roundish cap. Not knowing the difference between poisonous and not I admire them but leave well alone. What the locals out here eat you would just not believe and they all seem to live. For the time being I shall continue to buy my mushrooms/toadstools in the supermarket
              Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

I've not grown leeks before. Is it that time of year? Do you think I could grow them in pots? I've got a big wooden box which is deep but I usually save it for carrots, radish and lettuce. I could move lettuce......

Comment

No Mazel-bee. Leeks are tough as old boots and need a big root run so they should be grown in the open ground
                  Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

leeks in pots

Originally posted by roitelet View Post
                    No Mazel-bee. Leeks are tough as old boots and need a big root run so they should be grown in the open ground
                    In theory, you are right, but last year I had success in a large, deep container.

I grew them as most ppl do until they were' the size of a small pencil' then dropped them 6-7" deep in holes that I made with the end of a broom. They worked a treat

Comment

Toad stools are Mushrooms they come under the umbrella of Basidiomycetes. The spores are on top of five Basidia like little pillars I am always interested in Greenhouse Fungi as many are aliens ie not native to the UK.
                      Could someone send me a photo?
                      http://lowestoftnaturalist-benacre.blogspot.com/

Comment

BTW there are only c.14 species ogf Fungi which can kill you. The rest will give you bad guts. But do not eat anything if you are not 100% sure of what it is.

Benacre.
                        http://lowestoftnaturalist-benacre.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X