Putting lime in the chicken run

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting lime in the chicken run

After recently buying my first chickens, the lady I bought them from told me to put lime over the chicken run once a month to 'clean' it. I have bought garden lime but I have no idea how much to use . Is it common to clean an outdoor run like this? I keep their coop very clean. Thanks.

I think it can be done if you move your run around and let the ground rest for a month or so. I'm not sure I'd be happy having it down fresh where the chickens are still living. I'm fairly new to chicken keeping but I'm sure you'll get advice from the more advanced keepers!
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Lime can be used to kill parasite eggs. If chickens are on the same ground day after day, week after week, the parasite load builds up quickly. You use it by scattering handfuls across the ground to create a dusting, but you should not then return the chickens to the same area for at least a month.

You should also be worming your chickens 3 times a year. We use Flubenvet here in the UK. If chickens are wormed regularly and the run/coop moved onto fresh grass frequently, there should be no need to lime the ground.

Comment

I use a bit of garden lime on my runs when I move the girls on to the alternate run and then rest it for a few months to let the grass and weeds regrow. I tend to do it at the end of each worming course. I also chuck a few buckets of ***** fluid on and let that soak in before putting the lime on. As Richmond says a dusting is enough. I think it's supposed to "sweeten" the run - presumably neutralise it as chicken poo is acid I believe.

Comment

Gosh, thanks everyone. I was apprehensive about putting it down and then letting the chooks run on it. Now to find room for another run!!

Comment

Lime is put down not only to act as a anti parasite treatment, but to neutralise the ph of the run after the hens have been on it. Chicken poo is very acidic and lime is very alkaline. Putting on the other balances it back and makes the ground recover more quickly.

If you want a milder neutraliser, use wood ash. When you have had a bonfire or after you clean out your log burner (as long as there is no coal ash) you can scatter the wood ash over the run. When the water from the rain hits it, is dissolves into the ground.

Infact, when wood ash has water run through it it creates a very alkaline fluid called lye. Mix this with pork lard to create a basic soap (victorian recipe). obviously, if you dont want to smell of pork fat, mix in some essential oils to scent the soap, but be very very careful handling the lye or lime for that fact as it will burn your hands if exposed to it long enough
            My Blog
            http://blog.goodlifepress.co.uk/mikerutland

Comment

Thank you very much for putting so much effort into your replies. Is the lime for the help of the chickens or 'grass'? It is a total dirt run so nothing grows there. I have scattered pots so they can jump onto them and refill these with fresh edible plants. I guess I'm thinking is the lime for the health of the chickens or plants? Just trying to work out how to relocate them for a month....

Comment

Bit of both really. As said earlier, lime will kill parasite eggs, so helpful to chickens. It will also neutralise the ground so ultimately benefit plants, but if this is the only space you have to put the chickens on then liming is probably not advisable. Just be sure to worm regularly and give plenty of anti-boredom devices (greens hung up, a bit of straw to scratch around in) to keep your chickens amused.

Comment

Originally posted by Bramble-Poultry View Post

If you want a milder neutraliser, use wood ash. When you have had a bonfire or after you clean out your log burner (as long as there is no coal ash) you can scatter the wood ash over the run. When the water from the rain hits it, is dissolves into the ground.

Infact, when wood ash has water run through it it creates a very alkaline fluid called lye. Mix this with pork lard to create a basic soap (victorian recipe). obviously, if you dont want to smell of pork fat, mix in some essential oils to scent the soap, but be very very careful handling the lye or lime for that fact as it will burn your hands if exposed to it long enough

If I use wood ash do I still need to move the girls?

Comment

Originally posted by Bramble-Poultry View Post
                    Lime is put down not only to act as a anti parasite treatment, but to neutralise the ph of the run after the hens have been on it. Chicken poo is very acidic and lime is very alkaline. Putting on the other balances it back and makes the ground recover more quickly.

Oh dear, I thought so too until Two Sheds enlightened me. Apparently chicken poo is very alkaline!............ Ammonia is the culprit methinks!
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                      Oh dear, I thought so too until Two Sheds enlightened me. Apparently chicken poo is very alkaline!............ Ammonia is the culprit methinks!
                      Dunno about chook poo in particular, but bird-poo in general is acidic, contains loads of Uric Acid.
                      I think it is acid when fresh, but becomes alkaline if left to start decomposing.....
                      Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by Hungry Hannah View Post
                        If I use wood ash do I still need to move the girls?
                        No - It is quite safe. I often let my birds have access to old bonfire sites and if dry enough they dustbathe in them. It's important to only use wood ash though, not coal, as coal ash encourages scaley leg mite.

Comment

I use lime on the lawn when I move the run. I then let that area rest for a month. It doesn't matter how much you poo pick lots get trodden in and I find the lime sweetens the soil so the lawn grows faster. Also use wood ash in the dust bath as was told it helps to keep parasites at bay.

Comment

Originally posted by RichmondHens View Post
                            No - It is quite safe. I often let my birds have access to old bonfire sites and if dry enough they dustbathe in them. It's important to only use wood ash though, not coal, as coal ash encourages scaley leg mite.
                            does anyone know if you can use peat-ash ??
                            Our solid fuel central heating boiler burns wood and peat (turf) and I've used the ash in the dust-bath before...but now I'm not so sure...

Comment

i should think its ok. coal is acidic and contains sulphurs etc which is like giving your birds a chemical dip! wood ash (or any organic item burnt i suppose) would be fine. Never burnt peat, does it give out much heat?

we used to see a lot of peat digging when i lived on the somerset levels, used long narrow spades and stacked it in rows like roof tiles, never thought that they were cutting it for burning?
                              My Blog
                              http://blog.goodlifepress.co.uk/mikerutland

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X