Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exibition leeks

Hi

can anyone out there give me advice how to grow exibition pot leeks.

Cheers runnerbean.

Go onto the Medwyn Williams site..............plenty of bedtime reading for you there runnerbean!

Welcome to the vine btw!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Cripes......just realised you joined in March 2007......what the heck took you so long!
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

The National Vegetable Society, How I Grow Onions and Leeks by Ivor Mace

This might help too.

Comment

exibition leeks

Hi

can anyone out there explain how you grow exibition pot leeks.

cheers runnerbean

Comment

runnerbean - you asked this yesterday and had 2 really excellent responses - I've merged the 2 threads to keep them together.

Comment

You might find this post of some use:

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...leeks_347.html
              Geordie

Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure

Comment

Originally posted by Geordie View Post
                You might find this post of some use:

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...leeks_347.html
                Brilliant stuff Geordie! I was laughed at earlier in the year when I mentioned leek grass!

That should give runnerbean a good bit of bedtime reading!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Some good response to runnerbeans question, however you may have to wait a couple of years for the next response from the bean. (no offence intended) I think if I were to take up exhibition growing I would be inclined towards the normal leeks rather than pot leeks. I just find a certain beauty in a well grown leek with that length of white that blanching achieves.

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by gojiberry View Post
                    .......................... I just find a certain beauty in a well grown leek with that length of white that blanching achieves.

Ian
                    Funny you should mention that Ian as we have the holder of the World record for blanch leeks on our allotment site.................his pot leeks are pretty good as well!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Hi

thank you for all your advice vine,hope to have good results next year.
                      plenty goodtime reading.
                      cheers runnerbean

Comment

Let us know how you get on Runnerbean..........
                        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                        -------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                        -----------------------------------------------------------
                        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Hi

just set my grass leeks off in a propagator, reading geordie advice was fantastic he knows his stuff,

but been a geordie his talent been past down by generation

Comment

Originally posted by runnerbean View Post
                            Hi

just set my grass leeks off in a propagator, reading geordie advice was fantastic he knows his stuff,

but been a geordie his talent been past down by generation
                            My grass leeks are growing well and I'll need to think about adding a bit of background heat to the greenhouse soon. I've got a small paraffin heater that will be good enough to heat a small area.

I'm not showing any leeks though............just experimenting!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Hi

what kind of leek are you growing, i've got no2 but havent got a clue what they look like,when they get bigger

Cheers runnerbean

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X