Just made a pumpkin cake!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just made a pumpkin cake!

Just made a Pumpkin and Cinnamon cake, I think it's yummy! Very moist to the point of it looking undercooked, don't think it is, followed the recipe and the usual knife in the centre thingy. Is this cake really this moist or should it be light and fluffy like a fairy cake (probably not because of the pumpkin) but thought I would ask the experts!

Well done. I made a pumpkin cake last year cant remember what it was like though.
    Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
    and ends with backache

Comment

sounds lovely - recipe please..... I have 3 pumpkins sitting on the floor of my kitchen waiting to be attended to!

Comment

Carrot cake, courgette cake and choc & beetroot cake are all very moist cakes, so I shouldn't worry about it if you're enjoying it

If you think it just a bit tooo moist, you can either put it back in for 10 - 15 minutes at the normal cooking temp (it'll take about 5 mins for the heat to get through and start cooking it again) or you can just eat that one and cook the next one for an extra 5 - 10 mins.

Comment

Originally posted by janeyo View Post
          sounds lovely - recipe please..... I have 3 pumpkins sitting on the floor of my kitchen waiting to be attended to!
          300g sr flour
          300g dark sugar
          3 tsp mixed spice
          2 tsp bi-carb
          175g sultanas
          1/2 tsp salt
          4 eggs beaten
          rind of 1 orange
          1 tbsp orange juice
          500g grated pumpkin

mixed all the dry ingredients
          melt butter and add beaten eggs and pumpkin
          combine dry and wet ingredients
          use 20cm x 30cm tray, lined with greasproof or butter
          bake for 30 mins at gas mark 4, 160C

I didn't have mixed spice so used cinnamon and raisins went in place of the sultanas, also added a bit of melted chocolate drizzled over the top, also run out of greaseproof so just buttered the baking tray
          Last edited by MrsC; 20-10-2009, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Was going to take in for the kids in class tomorrow to try, don't want to poison anyone! The kids collected the seeds from inside to see if they could grow their own pumpkin patch at school and I didn't want to waste the pumpkin

Comment

Thanks, have printed it off already... will have a go at it in half term with the boys 'helping'.

Comment

Sounds yummy! Pumpkin muffins are delicious too.

Comment

There was a lovely lady at work who made pumpkin cake every year and it was yummy. The one she made was very moist (the consistency of ginger parkin) if that helps you at all. I don't think it was exactly the same recipe though because there were no raisins in the one she made.
                  Thank you for posting the recipe, I'm going to have a go at making one today
                  A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

Mrs C, I was thinking of trying it but you seem to have missed off how much butter to use in your list of ingredients? How deep is the tray as well, is it just one of those shallow baking type trays?
                    I made a quite complicated (well it seemed it to me & you should have seen the state of the kitchen!) courgette & pistachio cake the other week & it said cook for about 70 mins at gas mark 4, mine took about 95 mins though until I was happy, it still seemed soggy to me in the middle after 70 mins but after 95 was still moist but firmer in the middle. I usually find my oven takes longer than recipes state, my Christmas cakes sometimes seem to be in there for days!
                    Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Originally posted by SueA View Post
                      Mrs C, I was thinking of trying it but you seem to have missed off how much butter to use in your list of ingredients? How deep is the tray as well, is it just one of those shallow baking type trays?
                      I made a quite complicated (well it seemed it to me & you should have seen the state of the kitchen!) courgette & pistachio cake the other week & it said cook for about 70 mins at gas mark 4, mine took about 95 mins though until I was happy, it still seemed soggy to me in the middle after 70 mins but after 95 was still moist but firmer in the middle. I usually find my oven takes longer than recipes state, my Christmas cakes sometimes seem to be in there for days!
                      Sorry, 200g of melted butter! Used a normal sized baking tray

Comment

Thanks for this - made it with the kids yesterday and it really is delicious. I was getting worried about what to do with my 12 pumpkins as I only needed 2 for carving!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X