Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autumn planting asparagus advice

Hello all

I have got some autumn planting asparagus crowns to go in with the crowns I planted in spring. Do I need to gradually cover with earth as I did for spring crowns or can I plant at the required depth spreading the roots over a ridge and just cover with earth to the same level as the rest of the bed?

Also they are in packs with some soil - will they keep OK until the weekend or should they be kept in water?

All advice greatly appriciated from you wise and wondereful growers!

BB

I am asparagus grower, of many years and crowns....although not a practitioner of autumn planting. I prefer to prepare bed over winter so its settled in top weed free song waiting to receive my favourite veg for 20 years plus.

However, If I were to plant some now; I would say that the thing to do is plant them and cover/mulch in one go to about 6". some of this will settle wash away but unless exposed i would wait till some ferns are up to remulch next spring.(seaweed is great if you can get some)

The art is less avoiding the cold but more in how well drained the land is. ie. don't let them rot! in heavy ground plant on ridges (soil sandy here so no necessity) Rotting and planting too deep, and drying out are the biggest causes of initial failure. Long term: it is self sown overcrowding and weeds. Watch out particularly for asparagus beetle in early years as they can strip young plants ferns.

Yes, they should be okay in their packs but a misting/ damp news paper may help...and if they are looking dessicated dunk them and pack in a bag/box with just damp peat/compost...don't leave them to drown in a bucket of water for days especially at this time of year.

Good luck, hope they take.
    Last edited by Paulottie; 19-10-2009, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Thanks so much for that Paulottie. I prepared a raised bed las winter and planted spring crowns this spring but have room for some more and didnt want to wait (I know, patience is a virtue, just one i dont have!!) til next spring to plant more and then have them maturing at different times.

Pity about the seaweed - I have just got back from a weekend at the coast. Oh well next time!

Thanks again

BB

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X