Dealing with a pumpkin

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dealing with a pumpkin

After much fussing and fretting I finally got the pumpkin home - it is a heavy one - about 4 stone (car insisted there was a passenger and needed the seatbelt done up) - not sure what to do next. Tried a teacher friend but their school doesn't do Halloween. The variety is Alladin and it measures 131cm round the fattest part. Any suggestions welcome - clearly it is going to have to be cut up on the floor where it is!
    Attached Files
    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

That's one heck of a Halloween lantern!! And lots of soup, pies etc. What variety is it?

Comment

Hi Rustylady - it is Alladin - which leads me to think it may be just for decorative purposes. I have a slightly smaller one which would be easier to manoevre for carving.

Comment

What a huge pumpkin, I would have a go at carving, I use all the edible bits that I take out for soup etc.
        Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
        and ends with backache

Comment

I never bothered with the recommendations for carving / eating distinction with any large orange varieties. You can get enough for at least one soup and 2 pumpkin pies for Halloween out of any of them. We scrape the flesh and seeds out until the shell is still about 1-1,5 cm thick, then we carve it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
            ...their school doesn't do Halloween.
            Is this one of those political correctness things because other cultures don't understand it so it's excluded?
            If it is, I feel a rant coming on

Carve it and join in the http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ion_40660.html
            Current Executive Board Members at Ollietopia Inc:
            Snadger - Director of Poetry
            RedThorn - Chief Interrobang Officer
            Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support
            Jeanied - Olliecentric Eulogy Minister
            piskieinboots - Ambassador of 2-word Media Reviews

WikiGardener a subsidiary of Ollietopia Inc.

Comment

Hi Ollie - no need to rant - all is well here! The autumn term has been packed with various festivals, including harvest festival, and this one was during half term so the school decided to drop that one! This area is very multicultural and I must say I had a great Divali! My pumpkin problem has been solved and it has gone to a very nice home. Now I have just the little pumpkin to tackle!
              Last edited by Jeanied; 27-10-2009, 12:29 PM. Reason: too fast on the reply button!

Comment

Hi Ollie - no need to rant - all is well here! The autumn term has been packed with various festivals, including harvest festival, and this one was during half term so the school decided to drop that one! This area is very multicultural and I must say I had a great Divali! My pumpkin problem has been solved and it has gone to a very nice home. Now I have just the little pumpkin to tackle!
                Rant alert over...
                Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support

Comment

Stick some wheels on it - and go out and have a fun time!!!!
                  "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by OllieMartin View Post
                    Rant alert over...
                    Phew, Ollie. Didn't want you to think that our school was parsimonious you know, not letting the kids have fun!

Comment

Phew, Ollie. Didn't want you to think that our school was parsimonious you know, not letting the kids have fun!
                      Oh I can't judge on parsimony, I am the definition of frugality myself!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X