Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinning out or moving kale

Hi,

I planted some kale in stations and thinned out a little when they were about 2 in high, they are now about 6/8 in tall and each station now has about 2 or 3 plants.

If I thin out the remainder to individual plants am I able to re plant the others? Seems a shame to waste them. Also, any tips on the best way to do this?

Thanks for the help.

Hi there- and welcome to the Vine!!

I have Kale growing and it's about 18"apart
    When you move them try to disturb the roots as little as possible and take as much soil with each plant.
    Are the roots very intertwined ? If so gently shake the rootball to separate the fine roots.
    Plant on in ground you have jumped up and down on to make it compacted and then plant out and water well
    Now is a good time to transplant whilst the soil is still warm, there is rain, and no frosts.

Don't waste them..if you have too many- can you give some away- or plant in the flower border to green it up for winter?
    Failing that - you could get some chooks!!!...they'll help you eat it up!!!!
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Agree with what Nicos is saying but was thinking it was rather late to be planting kale out? Mine's been in it's final position for a couple of months now and I'd thought I was running a bit late.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

@nicos - thanks for the advice I'll give it a whirl. I think they'll be pretty entwined so I'll try it with one or two.

@Alison - sorry perhaps i should have mentioned they're already in the ground, I planted them a couple of months ago. It's my first year with an allotment so there's alot of trial and error!

Comment

No worries Walker69 - trial and error is usually the best way of working out if something works anyway!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I was planting out Red curly and Tuscan Kale last weekend. They looked a bit limp at first (as usual) but they are standing up like little soldiers now and should romp away!
            Still got loads of spring cabbage (pointy and ball headed) to plant out and PSB likewise.
            Brassicas can usually be planted out at any time and will give a succession of crops if used as well as the ones already in situ!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I'm of the "ah give it a go - what's the worst that can happen" school of gardening.....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X