Roast potatoes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roast potatoes

It seems there are hundreds of way of cooking them!! I always boil them and then put them in a roasting tin with abit of a oil. So have any of you got any special ways of doing them? Any tricks?

Just thought its one of those good old classics and it would be a good discussion.
    Last edited by zazen999; 09-10-2009, 08:20 PM.
    http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jamiesjourney

Please give blood and if possible please give bone marrow.

SAVE LIVES TODAY

Subscriber to the mojo mailing list

I only bring mine to the boil strain, then add a bit of semolina then rattle them around the saucepan then they go in the oven for a hour-ish.
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

The cheat's, foolproof way of crispy roast spuds? Par-boil, then deep fat fryer. it's not romantic, some say they don't taste as good, but they are crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. And I think the flavour depends on the potato.

But, I got a very close approximation, ie gorgeously tasty and crispy ones doing the semolina coating described above .... which is considered proper cooking

Caro
      Caro

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day

Comment

Hubby's idea is to get a packet out of the freezer and bung them in the oven. I prefer to parboil then cover in hot oil then roast in the oven.

One tasty, crispy hubby
        Jo

Comment

Originally posted by Joanne View Post
          Hubby's idea is to get a packet out of the freezer and bung them in the oven. I prefer to parboil then cover in hot oil then roast in the oven.

One tasty, crispy hubby

hehehe love it!!!!!

thanks for the replies

SAVE LIVES TODAY

Comment

Bring to boil and cook for 2 minutes, refresh - wipe down to remove starch and then into the oven with goose fat (sometime I may cut slots out the top a bit like hasselback)

Comment

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
              I only bring mine to the boil strain, then add a bit of semolina then rattle them around the saucepan then they go in the oven for a hour-ish.
              similar to this but with a sprinkle of fresh rosemary and lots of salt and black pepper
              aka
              Suzie

Comment

mmmmm some good ones coming Will have to get cooking tommorrow.

SAVE LIVES TODAY

Comment

I bring mine to the boil, strain, crumble a beef stock cube over them, give them a good shake, put them onto a baking sheet, drizel a drop of oil over them, then cook until crunchie.... yummy. Also nice with chicken or veg stock cube.
                  Last edited by ginger ninger; 09-10-2009, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Mmmmm... I might have to consider doing a roast this weekend now!

I tend to par boil, drain, leave them in the pan for 1/2 hour or so with a tea towel over the pan (to absorb some of the steam), rattle them around the pan, sprinkle on some sea salt and black pepper, then into a sturdy roasting tray containing very hot goose fat, spoon the hot goose fat over the potatoes so they're all coated and then into the top of a hot oven.

Mmmmm... roasties!

I might have to get some semolina today and give the next lot a sprinkle with that... do love them extra crunchy!
                    http://vegblogs.co.uk/overthyme/

Comment

Semolina does make a difference, I use it to make pasta so have always got some in the cupboard.

Comment

Par-boiled, shaken about in the pan a bit, then rolled in a mixture of flour and mustard powder.

Comment

I love these good old fashioned foods. Everyone has there own special way of doing them, and everyone has good memories of sitting round the table eating them.

SAVE LIVES TODAY

Comment

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Goose fat roasties!
                            Last edited by COMPOST CORNER; 10-10-2009, 03:05 PM.

Comment

The goose fat does make a difference at first I thought it was all hype until I tried it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X