Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potatoes ruined

...and I feel really sick.
    Each of my Druid spuds have a hole in them, about 5mm across. I thought I'd carefully cut out the holes and eat the rest of the spud.

Then I found one of these inside, and in the next one, 2 of these snuggled up.

The whole crop is going in the bin
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Flipping heck- what a shame!
    Can't blame you for binning them- how many are wasted?
    Have you got really dry soil?- maybe it's the moisture they were after?
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Yeeeeew.
      Just goes to show, even someone as experienced as 2sheds can have problems.
      Gives hope to yearlings like me.

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

what rotten luck TS ((hugs))

WEW - any gardener, new, experienced, in-between can have rotten problems like this, it is all part of the organic process of life
        aka
        Suzie

Comment

I've found plenty of chafergrubs when digging up parts of the lawn and have happily fed them to the blackbirds but none got my spuds fortunately. That's rotten luck. There are biological controls available which can be applied now to get them for next year.

Comment

Send em to Ray Mears or the Bush Tucka Man........he'll eat em!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
              Have you got really dry soil?- maybe it's the moisture they were after?
              I think you might be right, perhaps: however, I really wanted these spuds to be good, so I watered & mulched them (and not my other sorts).

Originally posted by JimineyC View Post
              I've found plenty of chafergrubs when digging up parts of the lawn
              I've never had them in spuds before
              But these spuds were planted in the worst patch of my new lotty; it was the first year cultivated for at least 8. Hopefully next year all the pests will be gone.
              The millipedes were attacking my strawberries on the same patch, back in July.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your ruined spuds TS
                Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I did have a great year for sweetcorn and pumpkins though Bren. Can't win em all

Comment

Shame about the spuds hon, those bugs look vile
                    WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Oh Two Sheds, that is so awful. So sorry you lost all your potatoes, just sickening.
                      I hope they do well for you next year.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

sorry about the potatoes two sheds,none of use know until we start to did them up,what they like,but you showed us what else can render the spudz useless
                        sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                          ...and I feel really sick.
                          Each of my Druid spuds have a hole in them, about 5mm across. I thought I'd carefully cut out the holes and eat the rest of the spud.

Then I found one of these inside, and in the next one, 2 of these snuggled up.

The whole crop is going in the bin
                          Two sheds,
                          Do these little beasties attack Swedes too as the base of my swedes had lots of holes and channels all over them
                          You grow it; I'l tell you how to cook it

Comment

Originally posted by Ken the Chef View Post
                            Two sheds,
                            Do these little beasties attack Swedes too as the base of my swedes had lots of holes and channels all over them
                            Could it be cabbage root fly larvae doing the damage to your swedes Ken?
                            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Cockchafer.

*has a little Beavis & Butthead moment*

Sorry to hear about your spuds TS. The end of one of my rows was dessimated by something, and coincidentally it was the dryer end of the bed (how's that for micro climate?).

Annoying when this kinda stuff happens innit?
                              A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X