Garlic spacing confusion

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garlic spacing confusion

Just reeived my garlic pack from the garlic farm.I've read the planting instructions and it says to plant 4" - 6" apart when in the ground with 18" between rows fine no probs

Planting in pots says 3 cloves in a six inch pot,6 in a 8" pot and 8-10 in a ten inch pot

Surely the distance between cloves in a pot is way to close to get decent sized bulbs

I thought that too?
    Is that just to start them off before replanting maybe?

From looking through the pack I got from them, my initial thoughts are that the extra investment (rather than any old bulb from the shop) is worth it. Every single bulb is far, far bigger than any bulb I've purchased before (for eating)! Hopefully that will translate into growing big tasty, bulbs myself!!

I've only tried a couple of cloves before and not had much success, so fingers crossed.
    http://www.keithsallotment.blogspot.com/

Comment

Pies, the 18" apart between rows when in the ground is to let you walk up and down there for weeding etc. There's no need for that if you are growing in a container.
      The distances being suggested for pots sounds a bit tight to me, unless as Keith says, it is just for starting them off then transplanting to the ground.
      I grow my garlic in a big container and plant them 4" apart each way and get good sized cloves.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X