Seed Potatoes arrived!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seed Potatoes arrived!

Whilst we were down at the plot today our neighbours took in a delivery for us from Alanromans.com, of our first order of seed tatties!

Now have 1kg each of Charlottes, Desiree and Pentland Javelins, all ready to chit and plant in the coming few months!

When would everyone recommend us to start the chitting off, and when should we be looking at planting them out?

Anyone like to suggest a couple of other maincrop varieties that they would recommend? I think we are looking for something with good blight / disease reisistance, mainly for roasting and baking, possibly chipping and possibly mashing!
    Blessings
    Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
    Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
    Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
    On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Everyone will have their own ideas on chitting MrsD and for what its worth heres mine - its a waste of time .
    If you keep the seed between 4-8 degrees untill two days before planting they will sprout as well as chitted ones.
    Very few farmers chitt potatoes nowadays and it works for them .
    Maincroppers I would recomend are Rooster and Golden wonder
    There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore and who always will. Don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it in your future.

Comment

Ask around on your allotment site Mrs D as to what grows well there! You can't wack local knowledge!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

The spuds i grew last year were supermarket ones that I threw in the ground when they sprouted. This year I plan to order the Heirloom collection from T&M consisiting of Red Duke of York, Sharpes Express, Catriona, Arran Victory, Golden Wonder and International Kidney.
        Got to go with what the budget tells me I can afford and these seem like a fair group of all rounders,
        My question is, when I harvest them, can the smaller tubers be saved and/or planted as seed potatoes to get a second crop or would I be better off getting new ones in if I need to?
        Sorry if I seem a bit thick, completely new to seed spud buying but don't want to get too many and run the risk of wastage.

Kirsty
        Kirsty b xx

Comment

Kirsty b yes you can but each year that you save seed you will get a lower yield so its best to bring in new seed every couple of years or so
          Last edited by beefy; 04-01-2007, 07:14 PM.
          There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore and who always will. Don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it in your future.

Comment

Hello Mrs D. if you want potatoes for roasting you cannot beat Rooster. The tattie experts will advise on your other questions.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I thought my Saxon last year were Maincrop but I see now that they were Second Earlies. They have been superb, big large potatoes, nice and waxy, make delicious roasters and potatoe cakes and store well.
              ~
              Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
              ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

What are the best tats to use for bakers? I love jacket spud with loads of butter.

I've not experience but I've ordered a few types of spuds, mains i've ordered Rooster, Cara and Pink Fir Apple and others I've ordered Foremost, Charlotte and Rocket.
                Bex

Comment

How can you all be talking about chitting your spuds ?????
                  We don't look at seed tatties til March up here!
                  Rat

British by birth
                  Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                  http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

I grew Pink Fir Apple for the first time last year and I must say I am hooked!!

They suit my soil (silty loam) and really performed well. They would have performed better If I had known the tops grow in excess of 5'0" though! This year I am going to support the tops and see if I can improve on last years crop.
                    They are not the prettiest of potatoes but what they lack in beauty they make up for in taste!
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by sewer rat View Post
                      How can you all be talking about chitting your spuds ?????
                      We don't look at seed tatties til March up here!
                      It'll be like last year SR - just a handful of us just waiting...... and waiting..... and waiting .......
                      ~
                      Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                      ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

I do believe that I live in an area fairly well known for early new potatoes. However, don't know what the local farmers are growing as when they get to the supermarket 'coz they aren't washed and bagged up they don't say the 'make'!!!

I grew Duke of York last year along with others (just 3 of each type) - they were gorgeous - and I will deffo do them again this year but I will do more and leave them longer. I think they are good as bakers but they were lovely served large egg size too. Seemed to be a good return for the amount planted which would be important if I had more space to grow in.

My dad (a definate foodie) reckoned my home grown spuds (in Morrisons flower buckets) were better than the local earlies last year - hope I have as much success this time!!!
                        Happy Gardening,
                        Shirley

Comment

We've heartily enjoyed our desirees this year. superb spud. Will be growing those and Arran Victory (purple - now there's a surprise!!!) again as these were fabalicious.
                          Bright Blessings
                          Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

I used Swift last year for my earlies. I was a bit disappointed. I will try something else this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Digger-07
                              I agree, let someone else look after storing them until February and plant them in March. If they chit between buying and planting so be it but I have never found it to be a real advanage. More early growth only means more protection from frost.
                              I think it is better to buy them as early as possible. a)because you can contol how they are kept and what is done to them before planting and b)because a lot of the less common varieties get sold out very quickly!

I have bought seed potatoes late and they have white, soft sprouts or are all wrinkled and starting to rot. A lot of sprouts get broken off by browsers/ buyers and staff in the garden centre handling them and you have no control over light or temperature!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X