asparagus

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• asparagus

I have just brought 5, 2 year old potted asparagus plants, no planting instructions with them,

What is the best way to plant and care for these plants

Advice needed please

Thank you Graham
    g.add

They should be planted in mid-April. I'd leave them in their pots for now, if it were me. How to grow Asparagus, everything you need to know
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

As Two Sheds says asparagus is usually planted in spring although I do know of people who have good results with an autumn planting.

The key to success is good preperation so it would be worth keeping them in the pots until spring so as to have plenty of time to get the ground ready. Add plenty of organic matter to the soil (remember the plants could be in the same place for twenty years or more). If your soil is not already free draining add some sharp sand and hortticultural grit (asparagus hates having its feet in soggy soil).

Time spent in preperation really is well worth it.

Remember to give the plants a couple of years to establish before harvesting any.

Have fun.
      It is the doom of man, that they forget.

Comment

I'm one of the lucky ones who got away with Autumn planting, having grown my own from seed. As long as you prepare the bed properly they should be fine.

Comment

I can't personally vouch for this but I read in a hints book that you should dig a trench 2 feet deep, put in some glass bottles (empty of course, and have fun emptying!), cover with soil and then put in the asparagus. Apparently the roots like to wind their way over the bottles and it helps with drainage.

Comment

Pickled asparagus
            If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

Here's the wife planting ours this last spring.

Bit of a panic the night before when we realised we didn't have enough empty bottles.... but we pulled through

looking forward to picking a just a few next year.

G
              I fear no beer

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X