Pak Choi

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pak Choi

Just been to B+Q to get some large pots the the green house and i came across eight small pak choi plants for 30p. Well for that price i had to pick them up. My question is,will pak choi grow over winter in a unheated green house. Never done this before.

Chhers Boxy

Hi Boxy. Pak choi is easy and hardy. It is cabbage with attitude. I grow it outside over winter on the semi-tropical Yorkshire coast so should be OK anywhere in the UK under glass. Can you amend your profile to tell us where you are? We aren't nosey but it does help to know when we are discussing things with someone whether they are from from Land's End or John O'Groats. The British climate varies so even within a few miles.
    Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
    >
    >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

Pak choi are particularly good for lower temperatures, it is if you sow them in summer that they have problems - higher temperatures make them bolt. Really, they are almost specifically an autumn/winter crop. It is often recommended that they only be sown after midsummer.
      But as there now seem to be hundreds of varieties, who knows if some of them don't stick to those rules !
      There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

Thanks for your replys. New to all this, so ive just updated my profile. Sunny Burnley in the northwest.

Comment

Pak Choi grow very quickly Boxy so I think you will be eating the ones you bought before there is any real winter. If you want some more they are really easy from seed and should be fine in your greenhouse. They like to be cool and well watered. I love them.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Slugs really LOVE pak choi ... take precautions if you want to eat any yourself
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
              Slugs really LOVE pak choi ... take precautions if you want to eat any yourself

Hey TS, shouldn't that read 'Slugs love brassicas and when Pak Choi is around there is very little else for the little bleeders'? . As an addendum, my horse radish has no leaves left. 2 weeks ago it looked like a jungle (glad the roots have formed). I have put some rare roast beef out for the slugs. Hope they don't realise it is laced with cyanide.
              Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
              >
              >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

Don't know how many plants you have there Boxy but they can get quite big and tend to mature all at the same time.

Try and use some of them for baby leaves, and let them re-grow to spread out the bounty. I have purple leaved pak choi on the go and they are very pretty as well.

If you are growing from seed in a greenhouse Mizuna is another really nice crop for the winter - it can be used like lettuce when really small, and stir fried as well.

Comment

Thank you all for the reminder about pak choi. I had really given up on it after a massive bolting in the summer - vowed never to grow them again! But in the greenhouse during the winter is a good idea.

Comment

Mine bolted this year so I'm trying some in the greenhouse they've only been in a week and are already an inch high.
                    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Its hot weather wot makes them bolt Bren, the g/h might still be too warm for them?
                      To see a world in a grain of sand
                      And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

I'd already got the seed so thought I'd give it a go and set a dozen of them. I might be lucky with them.

Comment

Transplant them outside, we start ours in modules?
                          To see a world in a grain of sand
                          And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Thanks I'll do that tomorrow I've got space in the trough where my parsnips didn't grow.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X