drying chillies for powder

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drying chillies for powder

I have read a few threads about dring chillies so i thought id give it a go.
    I have them strung up i the kitchen( and my they look pretty). I thought i might have a go at making chillie powder with some, so out came the motar and pestle.
    They seem really dry and hollow when they knock together, here comes the but, BUT they just sort of broke up into chunks and no powder in sight.
    Anyone else had a go at making it? And if so do you know where i am going wrong?
    Thanks for the help in advance

You have to dry them really really well; kitchen won't do it, it needs to be an airing cupboard or even finish them all off in a warm oven.

Then, whizz them in a food processor.

Do it outside or your eyes will stream. Put a t-towel over the bowl whilst it is blitzing and for a few hours afterwards.

Comment

good stuff, thanks for the info.
      Off to the airing cupboard they go. Shame really they look really pretty hung on my cupboards lol

Comment

Why bother with the extra work? Just pull one off the bunch as you need it?
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

this may sound a little odd, but ive found that freezing them before hitting the motar and pestle seems to do the job well enough for curries/con carnies etc...

Comment

I agree a total waste of time, they need to be very dry before you can get any powder.

Freeze them, and cut while frozen for your food.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X