Redcurrants from seed?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redcurrants from seed?

Has anyone had a go and a success at this?
    aka
    Suzie

Currants are easy enough to grow from cuttings, why bother with seeds ?

Comment

Originally posted by solway cropper View Post
      ... why bother with seeds ?
      cos a nice chap at the lottie gave me a bunch to eat and I thought 'hum, I wonder' - so I saved a couple and took the seeds out.

In true gardener styleee I shall just have a go
      aka
      Suzie

Comment

Let me know how you get on! I bought a redcurrant bush at the weekend. It's all that I find lacking on my new plot and no-one on our site grows them (or I'd cadge a cutting.) I've still got room for another!
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I have some self set seedlings and they seem to be doing really well P.B.
          If I can get them to some sort of size your welcome to one Flummery?
          This is mummy.
          Last edited by ginger ninger; 23-09-2009, 09:49 AM.

Comment

We have quite a few large bushes on the new allotment we have taken over and they badly need prunung.If you'd like some cuttings you are more than welcome. They look to be very good ones. they take very easily from cuttings because before we had these I took some cuttings from bushes that sprouted at the side of our drive presumably 'planted as seds by the birds' and they were very easy. let me know Flummery and I'll get some to you.

Comment

Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post
              cos a nice chap at the lottie gave me a bunch to eat and I thought 'hum, I wonder' - so I saved a couple and took the seeds out.

In true gardener styleee I shall just have a go
              OK, give it a go, but if you want the genuine article then ask the nice chap to give you a cutting.

Comment

Originally posted by ginger ninger View Post
                I have some self set seedlings and they seem to be doing really well P.B.
                If I can get them to some sort of size your welcome to one Flummery?
                This is mummy.
                Oooh ta, that'd be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by wollyanna View Post
                  We have quite a few large bushes on the new allotment we have taken over and they badly need prunung.If you'd like some cuttings you are more than welcome. They look to be very good ones. they take very easily from cuttings because before we had these I took some cuttings from bushes that sprouted at the side of our drive presumably 'planted as seds by the birds' and they were very easy. let me know Flummery and I'll get some to you.
                  Thanks, address pm on the way (belt and braces, just been offered seedling too!)

Comment

Wonders.................do redcurrants come true with seed?

Grown raspberries from seed though! Tullameen I think! They take a long time and seed needs stratifying........could be the same with redcurrants?

In the immortal words of the song "there are more questions than answers" Give it a go ..........you might even develope a new 'Pisky' strain!
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                      Wonders.................do redcurrants come true with seed?
                      there are two possibilites to that one Snadger - they will or they won't, but redcurrants they will be

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                      ..........you might even develope a new 'Pisky' strain!
                      ok so maybe there's a third possibility
                      aka
                      Suzie

Comment

They seem to grow easily enough when the birds 'plant' them, so I don't see why not. But yes, if you want a certain cultivar you almost certainly need to go down the cuttings route.
                        Growing in the Garden of England

Comment

deff try from seed im about 4 yrs into currant seed experimenting, mainly from pinkcurrants, redcurrants 2 yrs behind, due to give first fruit nxt year, but also white currants and blackcurants and wild redcurrants and yellowcurrants, the pinkcurrant seedling fruited well this year each bush slightly different, growth shape and colour fruit some seedlings fruit pinkish like parents but some WHITE currants appared from same batch, which was semi expected due to pinkcurrants parentage of red x white ( no reds appeared) flavours varied all very nice,
                          i also suggest try most soft fruit from seed, i got hundreds of seedlings all give intresting results and whats more you can name them yourself,give it a go, you nothing to lose, stew

Comment

Originally posted by swaine View Post
                            deff try from seed im about 4 yrs into currant seed experimenting, mainly from pinkcurrants, redcurrants 2 yrs behind, due to give first fruit nxt year, but also white currants and blackcurants and wild redcurrants and yellowcurrants, the pinkcurrant seedling fruited well this year each bush slightly different, growth shape and colour fruit some seedlings fruit pinkish like parents but some WHITE currants appared from same batch, which was semi expected due to pinkcurrants parentage of red x white ( no reds appeared) flavours varied all very nice,
                            i also suggest try most soft fruit from seed, i got hundreds of seedlings all give intresting results and whats more you can name them yourself,give it a go, you nothing to lose, stew
                            I like the sound of pinkcurrants swaine! Never heard of yellowcurrants but if crossed with redcurrants could give orangecurrants...........now there's a novelty!
                            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X