Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Birds have eaten my sweet corn crop!!!!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birds have eaten my sweet corn crop!!!!!

Grew sweet corn for the first time here this year and although the very dry summer affected the patch , I managed to grow about 8 plants to maturity.
    They were all there this morning when i spent about an hour clearing the old onion bed.
    Went back to the house and early afternoon was standing on the terrace (whilst the chimney sweep did his annual sweep of my woodburners chimney)and said to OH the birds are very noisy today - what bird is that do you think? They sounded large and energetic.
    Went down to do a bit more digging , (OH went fishing - river is right next to the plot)
    and 6 of the sweet corn had just been demolished - first i thought humans had stolen them but then found all the cobs eaten to pieces - it was the noisy birds whatever they are - rooks, crows, devilbirds...... so i picked the two that were left and ate one for dinner (OH doesnt like them) it was absolutely gorgeous - wonder what the ones the birds ate were like? hope they were horrid maggot infested ones..............so its netting next year or a scarecrow?
    http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...gs/jardiniere/

Wow.
    Crows are really shy birds around humans, they must have been hungry to come down to your patch.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

One of the other plot holders has put clear plastic pop bottles (2 litre ones) over their cobs, I assumed this was to protect from birds? An idea for next year unless is nothing to do with birds at all...
      Becky

"We only have so many heart beats in this life, why waste them picking up a weight to put it back down again!" - Jerry Springer

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X