Can we eat bolted fennel?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we eat bolted fennel?

We were wondering about cutting it up and putting it under our roasting pork for lunch tomorrow!! It's gone to seed, but still had a reasonable sized bulb at the base .....

yes you can, all bolting does is all the veg's energy goes into producing a flower stem rather than on growing the bulb. They are still edible when they bolt.
    Geordie

Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure

Comment

Can be a bit woody though.

Comment

Thanks! Will give it a go .....

Comment

I have a fennel which has gone to seed and its beautiful. 6foot high /wide all feathery with yellow flowers. didnt even know it was in the ground!! so do I leave the foliage to go over then cut it back and it will come away again next year, cos if I dig it up to eat, thats the end for the bulb. Can I chop it in half ?
          Attia of the julii

Comment

The bulb is a one year only thing. When it's gone it's gone. You could try saving seed.

Comment

You may have missed the bulb but the plant will re-grow next year for more fronds and seeds.
              Sent from my pc cos I don't have an i-phone.

Comment

the bulbs tend to elongate when they are starting to flower. i use a potato peeler on the outside of mine to get rid of the coarse outer parts then chop up the juicy sweet hearts great with fish as yuo say but what i do is steam the fish with the foliage and serve with the hearts braised or roasted with it

Comment

much of my Fennel bolted this year too (1st time growing it) but not one to waste much I take the fronds and any white bits of stem/bulb and make a thick mat on a roasting dish with a chopped onion. Onto this I lay a whole fish (salmon or monkfish are good). You could use fillets either. Put more fronds inside the cavity and on the top. Drizzle with a little olive oil (cal be lightly flavoured garlic oil or chilli oil also) and pop in the oven. Remove the fennel & fronds before serving. You could sprinkle with some chopped fresh fronds to serve. Yummy!
                  Suzie Spud

Comment

I had good success with Florence fennel this year, I overdid it though and ended up with a glut; as the bulb is something of an acquired taste and not all the family were keen I had a fair few bolt to seed, which I found quite pretty. I found the bolted ones far too woody to use, but the fronds were used in salads and to flavour fish dishes. I saved seed for next year. I will probably grow about half the number of plants though, maybe about a dozen or so as I struggled to use up all the bulbs I had. I will use the free space for more rhubarb chard which the whole family cant get enough of and which doesnt seem to have the bolting in hot weather tendency!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X