What makes chillies ripen more?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What makes chillies ripen more?

I've got some chillies in a plastic GH outside, and some of them are starting to ripen. I'm concerned that it's getting too cold at night and I should bring them in, but the only windowsill I've got is West-facing.
    So the question is, would they be better:
    a) With more warmth, but less light (Inside)
    b) With less warmth, but more light (Outside)

Current Executive Board Members at Ollietopia Inc:
    Snadger - Director of Poetry
    RedThorn - Chief Interrobang Officer
    Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support
    Jeanied - Olliecentric Eulogy Minister
    piskieinboots - Ambassador of 2-word Media Reviews

WikiGardener a subsidiary of Ollietopia Inc.

Rustylady's chillies are all doing much better than mine. She's had them in a very warm greenhouse all summer (while mine, same varieties, same size pots etc) have been on the south-facing patio.

So I'd say warmth is the key.
    Last edited by Two_Sheds; 18-09-2009, 04:13 PM.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Although my first cayenne to go red has been outside in the ground for months. The ones in the greenhouse are still green.

Comment

TS is definitely right about temperature being key, but I also always stress the plant but letting it getting really dry to encourage them to mature quicker.

This has worked for me in the last few years

Comment

My Cayennes are half red half green both outside and in the greenhouse (although more red than green. I gave my son some seedlings in June and he kept his on a sunny windowsil and they were red in July!
          BumbleB

I have raked the soil and planted the seeds
          Now I've joined the army that fights the weeds.

Comment

I have 4 plants (bought from GC's and Focus) just labelled Chilli plant, I kept one outside and three in the GH (space issues) and the one outside fruited later, but the fruits are now shiny and black as black thing. They have been this way for about three weeks. I think they may be staying black, in which case I am keeping the seeds to grow again next year. I have never een a black chilli before.
            The GH chilli's have bigger fruits but all still green.

Comment

I'm sure I saw one of the hairy bikers cooking with a black chilli in Guatamala or Mexico ?
              Attia of the julii

Comment

Well i've moved the plants indoors now (thanks for the advice) and the red ones do appear to ripening a little quicker.
                3 green ones fell off in the transfer, so i chopped 'em, fried them with garlic and mixed them into a reheated spag'-bol'. They're not the hottest chillies in the world, but they've got a great flavour. Not sure what variety, probably jalapeno.

Last edited by OllieMartin; 19-09-2009, 06:22 PM.
                Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support

Comment

wow my plants look pathetic in comparison to those! I have a few green chillies, no red ones yet. I am still hopeful though.
                  We plant the seed, nature grows the seed, we eat the seed - Neil, The Young Ones

http://countersthorpeallotment.blogspot.com/
                  Updated 21st July - please take a look

Comment

Originally posted by join_the_resistance View Post
                    but I also always stress the plant but letting it getting really dry to encourage them to mature quicker.

This has worked for me in the last few years
                    Never heard of this, I'll give it a whirl. I've got 2 plants in growbags so i can water one and leave one dryer

Comment

Here is a black chilli -
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Lavenderblue View Post
                        wow my plants look pathetic in comparison to those! I have a few green chillies, no red ones yet. I am still hopeful though.
                        Thanks Lb, I was lucky with these as they (and their 3 brothers who are planted outside) came in a 'Mexican garden' set which also contained tomato seeds and coriander seeds, but a pot about the size of a standard envelope. I have no idea how they expected them all to grow AND produce fruit.
                        Sadly as a result I have no idea what variety any of them are, but i'd guess the chillies are jalapenos.

I've had 3 red ones off them after bringing them in, and they're definately ripening quicker.

Comment

Sadly the greenfly got the better of me, I couldn't put up with sticky windowsills and greenfly dropping into anything left on my kitchen table, so mine have had to move off the sunny kitchen windowsill. I put them on the patio, and they attracted the hoverflies which did a good job of reducing the greenflies, but now it's got a lot colder I've moved them into the greenhouse. I'm hoping for the second flush of fruit to ripen, as I really like the choc habs and scotch bonnets. I've a few dried choc habs, but no scotch bonnets as we used them as soon as they ripened .
                          I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
                          Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X