Drying French Beans?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drying French Beans?

Anyone tried drying there french bean pods? Freezer is about full and I fancied giving it a go!

PS It's the green bean pods I am on about..............not the shelled beans!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Do you mean drying the pods not the beans inside?
    Why would you wanna?
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I'm planning on drying some of my beans this year, was gonna leave them on the plant till it is dead and dry then shell the beans and let them dry on some more before storing them in a jar, I hope this will work, never tried it before!
      Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

I suppose you could dehydrate them Snadge, and chuck them in casseroles or something? Never tried it though.

I'm thinking of giving salting a go, cos we still have more beans than I know what to do with, and far too many being left to shell too. I found some info on salting here; How to Make Salted Green Beans Softly We Walk…

Comment

I'm salting a load of runner beans this year. Simply slicing them as normal, putting a handful in a jar, adding a handfull of salt (put proper salt not the easy pour stuff) and putting the lid back on the jar. The salt draws out the water from the beans and they sit in a saline solution. Can add more beans / salt as you go. Apparently you can soak them for a couple of hours and rinse well before cooking (without salting) as normal. Will let you know how that goes when I've tried them but am told they taste almost as good as fresh and a lot better than frozen. Don't like runners frozen so am trying this rather than wasting. Am still freezing French beans as I think they're fine cooked straight out the freezer.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
            I suppose you could dehydrate them Snadge, and chuck them in casseroles or something? Never tried it though...................................
            Thats what I was thinking of doing! Apparently they are best blanched first............... then dehydrated! Just wondered if anyone had tried it!
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
              Do you mean drying the pods not the beans inside?
              Why would you wanna?
              To see if I can?

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X