Stoning Plums

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stoning Plums

I have a huge glut of plums....do i have to stone them when making jams or if i just cook them first would they split and the stones rise to the top?
    It's gonna be torture if I have to stone them first

Oh and any ideas other than jams for preserving would be gratefully received
    The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

apparently the stones taste of almond

when I made plum wine, I froze the plums which helped to split the skin and then I mashed them up in my hands to get the stones out. Took frickin hours.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

When I made plum and marrow jam last year I stoned the plums, but when I made damson jam a couple weeks ago I just bunged the damsons in whole and scooped out the stones as they came to the top. The only thing is that you might not get them all so warn people to watch for stones while spreading the jam.
      Happy Gardening,
      Shirley

Comment

I've used damsons and greengages so far this year and just left the stones in. They float to the top eventually.
        Urban Escape Blog

Comment

I don't like the skins so I blanch my plums in boiling water, peel the skin off and cut the plums in half with a sharp knife. Stones remove easily.

Comment

thanks all, think i'll go with shirl's bung 'em in method
            The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Don't chuck em away after fishing them out. Let them cool then have fun sucking the sticky flesh off (you will catch most of them on the fast boil after the sugar is dissolved) and spitting out the stones
              Happy Gardening,
              Shirley

Comment

I froze them THEN made jam with them........the stones came away very easily!
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Don't the stones contain a load of pectin so good to leave them in until boiling?

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I usually manage to 'screw' the stones out of halved plums. With damsons, they DON'T all float to the top - if only! I cook damsons, let them go cold and then go through the lot a spoonful at a time till I get them all. It does take ages, but hey, I'm retired! Good job, as we have nearly 60lb from our little tree this year!
                    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                      I usually manage to 'screw' the stones out of halved plums. With damsons, they DON'T all float to the top - if only! I cook damsons, let them go cold and then go through the lot a spoonful at a time till I get them all. It does take ages, but hey, I'm retired! Good job, as we have nearly 60lb from our little tree this year!
                      Ah...........so thats why I have 'crunchy' jam! I like crunchy peanut butter.........but not jam!
                      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I've got a carrier bagful of bullace(s?) to de-stone I've frozen them and then I'll simmer them, and then I'll attempt to put them through a sieve I think... Really can't face trying to cut each one open to get the stone out! (What're the bets that it ends up being some sort of jelly...? )
                        Last edited by SarzWix; 08-09-2009, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Bullaces make a brill jelly but I prefer them mixed with a few cooking apples. They are less astringent like that. They also do a good Gin or better still, Brandy. (Ask me how I know!)
                          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I usually compromise. Halve the plums, but then just cook, and nearly all the stones will float out once you have added the sugar. I did it that way with the 'wild' cherry-plums we found near here, and I am pretty confident we got them all. That was nearly 4lbs jam...
                            Big plums, the stones should be easy to see when transfering to jars (by the method I use, involving a ladle and a measuring jug) anyway.
                            Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X