What to do with elder berries...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with elder berries...

I gathered about 500g of elderberries earlier today thinking I would make some elderberry and blackberry jam (recipe online). However, once I'd harvested and stripped the berries from the stalks I realised that I didn't in fact have enough blackberries.

Any ideas what to do with the elderberries?
    A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

I think they are okay to freeze then you can use them when you have more brambles.
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

Add them to brambles and/or sloes/and or apples and/or sage/rosemary and make a fantastic Autumn Jelly for yout roasts or with cheese.
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
        I think they are okay to freeze then you can use them when you have more brambles.
        Just sat here typing away on the laptop whilst sat on the couch and I looked out of the window and have spied some more blackberries in the hedge.

I might get them tomorrow (I'm worn out today).

What would Vedder do?

Comment

I made elderberry pie out of some of mine, it was supprisingly good, especially as I very rarely make puddings.
          Unfortunately I didn't make enough pastry to do a proper lattice across the top, hence the slightly stylish looking 3-stripes.

INGREDIENTS
          1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
          580 g elderberries
          200 g white sugar
          25 g cornstarch
          15 ml lemon juice

DIRECTIONS
          Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
          Mix cornstarch in a little bit of water and add to berries and sugar. Cook, stirring constantly until desired thickness. Add more cornstarch if not thick enough. Add lemon juice.
          Pour into bottom crust. Dot with butter. Put on top crust or make a lattice.
          Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) until browned and berries are bubbling through holes in the crust, approximately 40 minutes.
          Note: It is a good idea to put a pan or foil under the pie as it bakes since it might bubble over.
          Attached Files
          Current Executive Board Members at Ollietopia Inc:
          Snadger - Director of Poetry
          RedThorn - Chief Interrobang Officer
          Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support
          Jeanied - Olliecentric Eulogy Minister
          piskieinboots - Ambassador of 2-word Media Reviews

WikiGardener a subsidiary of Ollietopia Inc.

Comment

I usually just use what I manage to pick (even if the mix isn't 50-50) and make blackberry and elderberry jelly, less pips too. Just boil the fruit gently with a little water, strain through a muslin then add a 1b of sugar per pint of juice, the juice of a lemon and boil it's guts out until it passes the set test, simples.
            A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

I'm slamming all fruit that I find in the freezer and all will be mixed up into an end of season jelly in a few weeks. Or when the freezer space runs out.

Comment

Originally posted by OllieMartin View Post
                I made elderberry pie out of some of mine, it was supprisingly good, especially as I very rarely make puddings.
                Unfortunately I didn't make enough pastry to do a proper lattice across the top, hence the slightly stylish looking 3-stripes.

INGREDIENTS
                1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
                580 g elderberries
                200 g white sugar
                25 g cornstarch
                15 ml lemon juice

DIRECTIONS
                Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
                Mix cornstarch in a little bit of water and add to berries and sugar. Cook, stirring constantly until desired thickness. Add more cornstarch if not thick enough. Add lemon juice.
                Pour into bottom crust. Dot with butter. Put on top crust or make a lattice.
                Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) until browned and berries are bubbling through holes in the crust, approximately 40 minutes.
                Note: It is a good idea to put a pan or foil under the pie as it bakes since it might bubble over.
                Aside from all that, your kitchen looks identical to ours!

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
                  Aside from all that, your kitchen looks identical to ours!
                  I bet yours is cleaner!
                  Current Executive Board Members at Ollietopia Inc:
                  Snadger - Director of Poetry
                  RedThorn - Chief Interrobang Officer
                  Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support
                  Jeanied - Olliecentric Eulogy Minister
                  piskieinboots - Ambassador of 2-word Media Reviews

WikiGardener a subsidiary of Ollietopia Inc.

Comment

You can also make Pontack Sauce - recipe in Food for Free by Richard Mabey. If you want the recipe I'll dig it out tomorrow.
                    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                      I'm slamming all fruit that I find in the freezer and all will be mixed up into an end of season jelly in a few weeks. Or when the freezer space runs out.
                      Likewise..............
                      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                        You can also make Pontack Sauce - recipe in Food for Free by Richard Mabey. If you want the recipe I'll dig it out tomorrow.
                        Thats what I'll be making with mine, along with jelly and syrup if I can gather enough!
                        Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

Make elderberry schnaps.
                          Best made when elderberries have been touched by frost; but a short stay in the freezed will do.
                          Half fill a container, wine carafe ?, with clean berries. Cover with cheapo vodka and half as much again. Cover and leave somewhere cool for 3 weeks or so. Strain off, you might need to run through a coffee filter paper. Bottle and leave for a few months. Colour rather like port. Taste. If you prefer you could add a spot of sugar or a couple of shots of sherry. This concept works with most fruits.

Comment

I keep looking at them in the freezer. I will do something with them - before next seasons berries are harvested!

Some great ideas folks, thanks.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                              this is in the river cottage preserves book.....doesnt it take 12 months to mature?
                              Think i might try it though...i have lots of frozen elderberries and blackberrys and Sloes!!!
                              Impossible is not a fact its an opinion...
                              Impossible is not a decleration its a dare...
                              Impossible is potential......

www.danmonaghan.co.uk

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X