Single Clove Per Head Garlic

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single Clove Per Head Garlic

I have seen a garlic variety in supermarket with a single clove in the whole garlic as in the pictures below. Is this a hybrid variety ?... has anyone tried sowing this...
    Attached Files
    http://bageechah.blogspot.com/

It wouldn't be Elephant Garlic would it?
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

maybe they are called elephant garlic..I dont know the name... this is some sort of chineese variety
      Last edited by falkon; 28-08-2009, 09:42 AM.

Comment

From what I understand autumn planted Garlic needs a good frost to trigger the process of splitting into cloves. Could it be that this stuff just hasn't been exposed to cold enough temperatures?

I did some Googling and found this page which may be of interest.
        Last edited by HotStuff; 28-08-2009, 09:58 AM.
        There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

Elephant garlic is related to leek.
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

They sell this single clove garlic in Makro as chinese garlic. It's excellent as there is so much less faffing around peeling them.

Comment

it is infact Elephant garlic .. this is what i found on wiki..

"There are also much smaller cloves with a hard shell that occur on the outside of the bulb. These are often ignored, but if they are planted, they will the first year produce a non-flowering plant which has a solid bulb, essentially a single large clove. In their second year, this single clove will break up into many separate cloves. Elephant garlic is not generally propagated by seeds."

Elephant garlic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Thanks HotStuff for including the link. The head of elephant garlic I bought had four cloves. I haven't been able to get a decent harvest since replanting it a couple of times.
                Cold is what makes the garlic divide - I wonder if the stuff in the supermarket was a one off or indeed a special variety?
                adekun's japan blog - growing organic veg in japan

Comment

Originally posted by falkon View Post
                  it is infact Elephant garlic .. this is what i found on wiki..

"There are also much smaller cloves with a hard shell that occur on the outside of the bulb. These are often ignored, but if they are planted, they will the first year produce a non-flowering plant which has a solid bulb, essentially a single large clove. In their second year, this single clove will break up into many separate cloves. Elephant garlic is not generally propagated by seeds."

Elephant garlic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                  It's not just elephant garlic that does this, I had a few last year and moved them and let them flower; and next year I'll probably get normal cloves.

Comment

I had a close look at the Chinese "rounds" of garlic earlier this year, and from the taste and texture it is a true garlic and not elephant garlic.
                    I tried googling to find out how they produce it but drew a blank. My best guess is that they plant it in the normal way and lift it early before it splits into cloves. Interestingly, some of my Chinese rounds were showing signs of splitting when I bought them. I replanted one in the Spring and it had split by the time I lifted it in July.
                    If you want an easy peeling garlic, plant hardneck garlic.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X