Strawberries

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strawberries

Please can someone explain how to care for/grow Strawberries.

We have had 9 plants in a container since march of this year and have successfully propagated about 20 babies which I hope to transfer to our new allotment.

My main questions are:
    do strawberry die back over winter?
    do I need to protect them over the winter with cloche?
    When would be the best time to move my babies from their 3" pots to their new bed? do they need to go in a cold frame over the winter?
    What sort of spacing will they need?
    I have heard they should be planted on the top of a ridge of soil is this correct?

Thanks in advance

Strawberries are being offered for sale from places like Suttons and T&M and they are quoting November deliveries, so you have more than enough time to prepare their bed.
    Typically strawberries are cut back at the end of their growing season.
    Strawberries are quite hardy and the main danger to frost is when they start to flower early in the spring so this could be the time to cover and protect.
    I give my strawberries a foot each way.
    You would probably only need to grow on a ridge if your soil gets water logged, they like free draining soil in a sunny position and protected from wind.
    Last edited by TEB; 23-08-2009, 04:03 PM.

Comment

We have about 20 odd strawberry plants waiting to go down to the plot, would they be ok to get in now?
      I hate slugs!!

Comment

Originally posted by teamladd View Post
        We have about 20 odd strawberry plants waiting to go down to the plot, would they be ok to get in now?
        I think it will depend how long they have been separated from the parent plant, I am going to wait until next easter giving mine some time to establish on there own.

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong

Comment

I don't cut mine back till spring as the old foliage helps to protect the crown from frosts. If anyone is keeping theirs in pots to overwinter beware of the vine weevil especially if you have them growing in MPC as they are a favourite food of this particular pest. I lost a whole raised bed to them last winter. I would be inclined to get them out into the lottie and protect with a bit of fleece in the severest part of winter.

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by gojiberry View Post
            I don't cut mine back till spring as the old foliage helps to protect the crown from frosts. If anyone is keeping theirs in pots to overwinter beware of the vine weevil especially if you have them growing in MPC as they are a favourite food of this particular pest. I lost a whole raised bed to them last winter. I would be inclined to get them out into the lottie and protect with a bit of fleece in the severest part of winter.

Ian
            MPC = Multi Purpose Compost?

Comment

yes

Comment

Originally posted by jands View Post
                We have ... about 20 babies which I hope to transfer to our new allotment.
                The soil is warmer in autumn than in spring, so I would do it at the end of the month.
                Water them in well and keep an eye on them. If it looks like a harsh winter, give them a bit of protection (but I never bother).
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X