Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another question about Winter Squash

Hi guys,

Sorry to be a nuisance but please could someone tell me how to tell when Winter Squash Sweet Lightning is ready for picking?

This is my first year at growing winter squash and have 2 lovely 1 person sized examples already (and another 2 just starting to grow). The larger 2 are creamy coloured with dark orange bands, really rather pretty but I have absolutely no idea how to tell when they're ready for eating.

Many thanks
    Reet
    xx

Do not pick them until the foliage dies down at the end of September as that is when they are sweetest. I am growing them for the first time and they have done well.
    Have a look at this page for details of harvesting and storage.
    winter_squash

Comment

Thanks for that realfood.

Would this be the same with cobnut squash as well then?

Regards
      Reet

Comment

The secret is in the name Reetnproper - winter squash - grown for eating in the winter.
        You can pick them and eat them now if you want to - they will be fine - but they are usually grown because they store well and can be eaten in the winter when other vegetables are in short supply.
        Leave the fruits on the plant til first frost. That way the skins will have cured and they will keep longest. Or as I said - pick them and eat them now.
        But for squash now better to grow summmer squash and get lots of little ones.
        And yes, cobnuts are winter squash.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X