Garlic

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garlic

I am a very new to growing veg - so excuse me for the silly question.

I have just bought some garlic that I would like to plant - am I too late?

Hello
    You've picked a good time to post - ancient lore has it that garlic planted on the shortest day can be harvested on the longest day. I'm planting some today, (although Mr MB set some in September). Should be fine. Good luck.

Comment

Hello,
      I would just like to point out that there is no such thing as a silly question on here, (just check some of mine)

Some things you can help others with, but for anything that you don't know, there are so many people on here to help its just great.

Good luck with the Garlic, mine went in at the beginning of December and it is already showing about 4 inch of growth

Darren

Comment

Plant your garlic now St Aquinas and it will be ready end of June, beginning of July. When the leaves start to die down, it's ready.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Garlic

Many thanks for all that have got back to me. I will be planting my garlic this weekend.

Happy Christmas.

Comment

Welcome St. Aquinas - hope you find the Vine helpful and informative. PLEASE do not have any hang ups about asking questions. Everyone on the Vine is always very helpful and very knowledgeable. As MMB says, there's no such thing as a silly question!
            ~
            Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
            ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Only silly answers!!

Welcome by the way- I'm sure you know plenty of stuff already and look forward to your future posts!
              Home grown garlic is lovely- so much sweeter and juicier than shop bought!
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Fantastic, I thought I'd left it too late
                An té nach gcuireann san earrach
                ní bhaineann sé san fhómhar.

Comment

Should I be concerned that my garlic hasn't appeared above ground yet? I planted it at the same time as my jap onions and they have 5 - 6" of growth. I'm sure last year they came up together...

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

Originally posted by Birdie Wife View Post
                    Should I be concerned that my garlic hasn't appeared above ground yet? I planted it at the same time as my jap onions and they have 5 - 6" of growth. I'm sure last year they came up together...
                    Have a bit poke around at a few and see if they've rooted BW?

My 'proper' garlic bought from garden centre is 6" tall but my other experimental garlic planted at the same time, and from Tesco's veg counter is just breaking through the soil!
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Mr MB planted three lots at different times, the first and third plantings are already good and big whilst the second hasn't shown yet. I wonder if it's got something to do with Moon gardening?
                      we also planted some more today (having worked out that we can get through at least 1 bulb per week). As its a new moon tonight maybe we can find out.
                      By the way, all of what we planted came from eating bulbs off the market.

Comment

When can you plant garlic up to? My plot isn't ready (I'm still digging it over!) I read that you can still keep planting up to February.

Comment

You can plant up to about March Salamander. You'll just have smaller garlic. You could plant some now in a biggish container. I have mine in a crate and their doing well.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Originally posted by St_Aquinas View Post
                            I am a very new to growing veg - so excuse me for the silly question.

I have just bought some garlic that I would like to plant - am I too late?
                            Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                            Only silly answers!!.....................
                            ...And you'll get loads of them St.A (your name's not Thomas by any chance is it? )

The way the weather is I think a lot of folks who thought they were too late will be OK this year.

Welcome to the Vine Hope you had a good Christmas and New Year. You'll have ot post some piccies of Whaley Bridge not been there for ages but we used to do a lot of walking in the Peak DIstrict & surrounding areas (sort of a Warwickshire version of last of the summer Wine - I was the good lookig inteligent one)
                            ntg
                            Never be afraid to try something new.
                            Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                            A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                            ==================================================

Comment

Well, I planted Albegensian Wight in mid November and nothing has happended yet. My plot is not waterlogged and it's been mild, but I suspect the rot has got them.

My winter white lisbon spring onion has sprouted a little, so there's hope.
                              However, I've just yesterday planted another bulb in a small deep 8" pot for the cold frame, overwintering and for planting out in March when hopefully the worst of the weather has gone. This worked well for me last year. I planted 2 bulbs and we finished the last harvested bulb just before Christmas. Not bad for a novice.

However, broad bean "Aquadulce" and early pea "Meteor" planted at the same time are doing well.
                              Last edited by Jayneylass; 04-01-2007, 11:56 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X