Carrots to plant now

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrots to plant now

I have harvested the onions and garlic. I want to put carrots into that bed and saw somewhere that a Thomson and Morgan carrot (the name of which escapes me) is good. Does anyone know the name of that carrot. I saw it either on this site or in the magazine but now cannot find it. I did go on T&M website at the time but they had sold out

Was it Healthmaster F1, grew these last year, a lovely carrot slightly red and with a third more beta carotene

Comment

Adelaide is a fantastic quick, small, sweet carrot (T&M)
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Autumn King 2 should be ok to plant now.

Comment

Sowing this late I would go for one of the round type as they are quicker growing. Look on any of the seed websites and they will give you suggestions. Marshalls have one called Early French frame and there is another I think called Rondo, don't know who sells it.

Ian

Comment

Could it be Nantes frubund that your looking for, it's a carrot that you can sow now and overwinter. If it is they're still out of stock.

Comment

I sowed some Autumn King a week and a half ago and all have germinated (well, ok, I didn't count). Paris Market are small, fast growing round ones, or perhaps Parmex?

Comment

I sowed all the odd half-packets I had left 2 or 3 weeks ago and they have all germinated and are doing well in a raised bed under fleece.
                Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

I love carrots and the second lot I planted were overshadowed and seemed to have died off. The first lot are lovely - I've just about one more picking left in them.

Anyway, encouraged by this thread, I'm going to try a late sowing this week. Nothing to lose really, and maybe a bit to gain.
                  My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

If i sow carrots outside now do i need to cover them with fleece then?
                    Jane,
                    keen but (slightly less) clueless
                    http://janesvegpatch.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie View Post
                      If i sow carrots outside now do i need to cover them with fleece then?
                      Oh yes; or you will lose the lot. Sorry.

Comment

You "may" be okay without the fleece and still get targetted if the larvae is present in the soil, especially if you sow where other vegetables that the carrot fly target have been for instance Parsnips.

Comment

Ooh, at what point will they get targeted? I haven't seen any signs of attack and the seedlings are now about 2-3inches high. They're in containers, so the soil is not pre-used for other crops.

Comment

The adult fly emerges from the soil usually between April and June (depending on region and seasonal variations), within a week of emerging they then lay their eggs near host plants, the eggs to pupation lasts about 8 weeks and its the final 3 weeks that can cause the most damage with the second stage larvae having a field day as they start on the main tap root. Also they may delay pupation and stay in the ground with their food source. As this soil was not used for any other crop then you should be okay (sorry didnt know they were in containers).

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X