Something's eating my chillies!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something's eating my chillies!

Ok, I'm used to the leaves on my chillies getting munched by caterpillars, slugs etc, but I've never had anything take great big bites out of the chillies themselves
    Anyone got any ideas as to what these chilli loving monsters could be?

I had that happen too. I think it was slugs!
    Singleton Allotments Society
    Ashford Gardeners - A gardening club (and so much more) for the greenfingered of Ashford and surrounding areas. Non-Ashfordites welcome .

Comment

Where are your chillies living Incy, and any piccies on the damage.
      If they're outside or in the greenhouse I'm putting my money on slugs.
      If they're in the greenhouse you can use little blue crystals responsibly to deal with them without any danger of them getting into the food chain.
      Not a nice death for slugs - or you can just let them eat everything.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

They are in the greenhouse. I have put down organic pellets in case you're right about slugs.
        Sorry no pics OH used what was left in a curry last night.
        One was a bit nibbled at the bottom, the other had at least half bitten off
        I would have thought they would be too hot!

Comment

We've had them in the placcie greenhouse too this year, though last year they didn't seem to bother. There's been holes appearing in the chili leaves and chunks taken out of the forming chilies too. I was also quite surprised that slugs would do this but when I went out after dark with a torch, I found the offender. One huge slug making it's way across the leaves. Such a bleeding nerve. Anyway it got relocated.

Comment

Has anyone noticed that they seem to like particular plants? I had all my chilli seedlings together but they always went for the one (poor) plant. It kept rallying, but then they wolfed down the lot one time.

And the one they're attacking at the moment has other ones around it - of the same type, but I'm always finding the slugs on that one plant.

Grr.
            Ashford Gardeners - A gardening club (and so much more) for the greenfingered of Ashford and surrounding areas. Non-Ashfordites welcome .

Comment

Caterpillars will eat the chillis as well as the leaves

Comment

I've had mice eating my chilli's in the past in my ploytunnel. They were actually carrying some of the smaller ones away and I eventually found a very neat pile of chillis and seeds under some plant trays.

Comment

Grr, I found a huge slug on my morning patrol today - it has just gobbled the top of my chilli plant off.

It got plopped in my slug trap.

Comment

I had the same problem with mice in the greenhouse. But stopped them burrowing in with cement all round the base.

BUT the same problem started last week so I reset my mouse trap.. And today it caught the culprit: a 4 cm long black slug...

Comment

A big slug has eaten the growing tip off my big jim plant and also eaten the top of one of the chillis.

Maybe the fact that he didn't finish off the chilli shows that he wasn't too impressed by it.

Comment

Originally posted by srodders View Post
                        Caterpillars will eat the chillis as well as the leaves
                        I've found caterpillars in my chillies, but they only sleep in them, they don't eat the chilli itself.
                        Attached Files
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Help!

Hi all,
                          Hope you can help, i have been growing chillies in pots and came to check on them one morning to find a few of them had been completely gobbled up! They are still small and aren't producing chillies yet. On of my plants has been save but today i found little nibble marks on one of the leaves. It doesn't look like slugs, too small and neat. I am growing them inside and I have searched the plant and the surrounding are for tiny bugs but cant find anything! However there are lots of little fruit flies around them?

Here is a picture, if anyone could help and tell me what i can do to stop them being eaten!?

Thank you!
                          Attached Files

Comment

Catalina you say you're growing them inside - inside where or what? My bet is snails, they have had a go at my plants too.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X