grafted tomatoes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grafted tomatoes

anyone trying the socalled turbo toms this year.they are grafted onto vigorous root system.this is my second year and am pleased with very abundant crop,but the main problem is they get very top heavy.the main stem is twice as thick half way up the plant as at the base making them very hard to brace. anyone else gettin this
    never be afraid to ask because a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

grafted tomatoes

I'm doing the turbo toms for the first time. I'm not having the stem problem as you are, but quite the reverse. They are growing still and are taller than I. (I am 5' 7") At present they are supported by a wigwam of 3 canes. It has to be because I have to take them out of the greenhouse to move it. (See thread about my wall. The builders need to get behind it). Then it will go back & the toms in place. It's a walk in mini gh. I was going to rope them up and tie the supports to the top of the gh., but obviously that's impossible just now. Try extra canes to support for now.
    There's pleasure sure in being mad that only madmen know - Anon

Comment

I have to admit i was tempted by the turbo toms this year but as it's my first allotment year i was goven some by a friend from work. So are they worth getting. I'd prefer to but my tommies as plants as opposed to seeds so i can get more variety (6 plants as opposed to 6 seperate packets of seeds which would mean alot of space starting them off if that makes sense) and i know they do more than 1 type?

Cheers

Sean

Comment

It used to be quite normal to graft tomatos.... within my memory I can remember seeing specific rootstock seeds for sale and I'm only 43..... A few years ago I grafted a tomato onto a potato so that I could show it as "Chips and Ketchup"..... Hungriest Plant. Ever.

Quote from my brother on seeing it was "and you wonder why people think you're a mad scientist..."

chrisc

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X