Woohooooo! My Aubergines set fruit!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woohooooo! My Aubergines set fruit!

I'm a bit excited (well more than a bit). One of my aubergines has set fruit and the best part is it's outside. Didn't think it would have a hope in hells chance especially with recent weather. Oddly enough it has set fruit before the one in the mini gh which looks larger but has less flowers although same variety
    Anyway I know it's still got to mature but it's one step further than last year which were just loads of flowers and no fruit at all.
    AKA Angie

Well done.
    I'm going to try making Aubergine & Mango chutney tomoz.
    Never mind the TWADDLE here's the SIX PETALS.

http://vertagus.blogspot.com/ Annual seedlings.

Comment

I have never had much luck with Aubergines out doors...if i get one per plant I am lucky.
      My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

Yes, I discovered one today - about the size of a ping pong ball. I've got three plants, all flowering, in my greenhouse. First year I've grown them. Very exciting ! Hoping they will catch up with my romping courgettes so I can do ratatouille.

Comment

Congratulations Selfraising. It seems to be the year of the aubergine. Folks - including me - who had no success before are getting aubergines. Maybe it's just the better weather as last year was really dire. Hope you get lots of lovely aubergines. What variety are they. Viserba is doing well for me.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Hi Alice
            Thanks. The variety are ophelia, a baby aubergine. First time I've grown this variety. Yes last year was awful weather wise although the last couple of weeks down here hasn't been great, lots of wind and rain.
            AKA Angie

Comment

Mine are 'ophelia' too, indoors though which seems to have helped them. There are masses of fruits and we have started to eat them at around tennis ball size. Really good!
              Last edited by annacruachan; 26-07-2009, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Ooooooooh I might try that next year!
                AKA Angie

Comment

Congratulations to Annacruachan.
                  The Scottish grapes seem to be doing well with aubergines.
                  Well - there's Annacruachan on Luing (lovely place Anna,I grew up in sight of Cruachan and that's the Campbell war cry)
                  Tiachica in Aberdeen is doing great with Baby Belle
                  I'm doing great with Viserba
                  Amanda - how are yours ?
                  The year of the aubergine for Scottish Grapes ?
                  At one point I had just about concluded we were too far North. Rubbish !

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

i too am having sucess with ophelia, i have two plants in pots which were outside all of june but in the tunnel most of this month with the six other plants i have in beds, all have hen egg sized fruits. not picked any yet, how do they taste????

Comment

Well done everyone - I am really excited as I have just noticed mine have set fruit too! I have never grown them before and they are outdoors. Just had to share it someone....

Comment

i now have a palm sized aubegine on my plant, altho it looks to be the only one so far, it is my first attempt and it is kept covered outside. im pleased as i have read how difficult they can be to grow, any tips to encourage more flowers to set?

Comment

I have 2 small auberines on my Caliope plant. First time growing so quite excited! Just need to figure out when to pick....
                          If it ain't broke...fix it til it is!

Comment

I was wondering that, what size do you let them grow to?
                            AKA Angie

Comment

I think I have a couple of fruits set, but they are only the size of peas so still a chance of them dropping off the plant. I have some plants out on the lottie but haven't had chance to get out there what with work and bad weather. Just on a brighter note the weathermen have changed their mind on the long range forecast and it is now going to be a very wet August.

Ian

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X