Not so tasty blackcurrants

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not so tasty blackcurrants

This year is my first year of getting a reasonable crop of blackcurrants, I don't know the variety as I got them as sticks in a pot.

They look nice and black, but they are definitely not sweet. In fact not a nice flavour at all, just very sharp. I know we've not had much sunshine these last couple of weeks, rain and some sunny spells mostly. But will they get any sweeter if left on for longer, or will they start to rot?

I have 7 bushes, I left 2 uncovered for the birds to eat. I won't do that again though, as I hadn't realised they would do so much damage to the bushes. They look like vandals have been and attacked them, but I was thinking that the birds know they are ripe, so maybe they don't get any sweeter.

I prefer to have fruit to eat as is, not having to add sugar as I get addicted to sugar really quickly. If the rain holds off tomorrow or the next day I'll try and pick some for a blackcurrant smoothie, and hope that the porridge oats and water will reduce the sharpness of the berries.

Interestingly I don't have to cover my raspberries or blackberries, the birds leaves them alone. My strawberries seemed to be fine too, so really my only bird attacks have been blackcurrants and brassica's if left uncovered.

I don't think they ever get really sweet, but if you can catch them just before they split or fall off they are a tiny bit sweeter!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Would agree with Snadgar, don't think blackcurrants will ever get sweet, they have a distinctive flavour all of their own.
      You either like them or you don't and i don't think any amount of sugar will change the taste.

And when your back stops aching,
      And your hands begin to harden.
      You will find yourself a partner,
      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

I have a little blackcurrant bush and I just noticed some berries today and I hadn't seen any flowers so was surprised. I tasted some and didn't think they were very nice either. The looked good too, nice black and ripe. Maybe if dried they will be like currents ?

Comment

You can use blackcurrants to make jam, jelly, fruit cordials etc. I think they're much better used this way than fresh

Comment

Originally posted by greenhat View Post
            Maybe if dried they will be like currents ?
            Maybe, but a currant is a dried grape, so maybe not
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Maybe my taste buds are odd, but I can eat my blackcurrants straight off the bush. No idea what variety they are though
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                Maybe my taste buds are odd, but I can eat my blackcurrants straight off the bush. No idea what variety they are though
                Your tastebuds are very definitely odd

Comment

Thanks for your replies, it helps to know that they are not as sweet as I was expecting. So now I shall try them out as they are, rather than what I thought they would be.

I was thinking I might do a blackcurrant bread and butter pudding, as the custard would sweeten the dish. Might even see if I can be inventive with my old breadmaker and do a loaf with blackcurrants in it. Actually as both of the above are recipes with bread, I think the answer is to make the blackcurrant loaf first and if it's not too tasty, I can slice it up and make the bread and butter pud.

Hopefully I'll enjoy a blackcurrant smoothie, but I'll have a banana handy to add if a bit of sweetness is needed. Also I'll make up a packet jelly which is already sweet and add blackcurrants to it, think I might lightly stew the blackcurrants first.

I think they say if you taste something about 10 times/over 10 days you get used to the taste. So maybe I'll be converted soon and just as I get the taste for them and want more, I'll find I've run out.

Comment

I made this same mistake, bought 6 blackcurrant bushes and only 2 of each of red and white currants and gooseberries really wish I'd grown more white currants. We have massive crops every year and the only sensible thing to do with them is make wine
                    Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

I would always use them in cooking rather than fresh. Jam, pies (heavenly!) muffins. Plenty of choice. But they do need sugar!
                      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

They're really yummy when used instead of lemon in a blackcurrant merangue pie. Personally I like the tartness but would still not eat them raw.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I'm not into jam, pies or muffins.

A toasted teacake I like every now and again, so toasting a blackcurrant slice sounds good.

Pies, muffins and cakes I've always found too heavy, not to do with who's cooked them, just never like them really. Don't have bread that often either and then only eat it as toast. They all come under the heading of stodge for me, not a pasta fan for the same reason.

I don't like wine either or really drink alcohol, so can't use them up that way either.

Fruit and more fruit is my healthy way of getting the sweetness I love, but I may have to look into using blackcurrants in savour dishes. That's what I started doing with rhubarb, I add it as a veg in curries or veg tom stews type of thing. That was because I wasn't happy adding honey to the rhubarb when stewing and adding it to my porridge.

Obviously blackcurrants willl give off a lot of colour, so I'll have to try them out with red cabbage or beetroot.

Comment

If you don't like proper puddings then you can also just eat them as cooked fruit, maybe with a bit of yoghurt / ice cream.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

It stayed dry today and I managed to pick all the blackcurrants and some blackberries.

So I have just made a smoothie with equal amounts of both fruits and it tastes lovely.

Thanks for all the comments, tips and advice.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X