Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hazel nuts

Hi all

I have a hazel nut tree which I inherited on moving here. There are loads of nuts (green cases) coming - when do I harvest them please?

Hi craftygirl,

You can harvest your nuts when the casings turn brown - probably not until September/October time. There was a thread about this last year click <<HERE>> and you should find some more information.

As a little aside for those who know "our" Hazel (at the hill)
    Hazel nuts - Oh yes, she certainly is
    A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

Originally posted by scarey55 View Post
      As a little aside for those who know "our" Hazel (at the hill)
      Hazel nuts - Oh yes, she certainly is
      OI!

Comment

Originally posted by craftygirl24 View Post
        Hi all

I have a hazel nut tree which I inherited on moving here. There are loads of nuts (green cases) coming - when do I harvest them please?
        Just before Christmas if the Squirrels don't find them first ..jacob
        What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
        Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

Originally posted by jacob marley View Post
          By Christmas there will be more nuts stashed in the ground than left on the tree,,,,,,,,,
          Last edited by rana; 17-07-2009, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Just been out in my local park that has loads of hazel bushes.

Most of the nuts had nowt in them but a couple of trees had decent sized sweet green nuts in them.

Depends on your type of nut tree, I guess.

bvp
            http://www.myspace.com/bayviewplot

Comment

Nuts that get left in the ground produce new trees. I know 'cos I've got five in my plot that came from my neighbours trees which overhang my fence. The branches are really useful as plant supports, I did not need to buy any canes this year.
              History teaches us that history teaches us nothing. - Hegel

Comment

We used to have hazel in the hedge at the bottom of our garden when we were kids. Mum used to keep a "whippy stick" cut from it just inside the back door - used to get it across the back of our legs if we were naughty. Makes excellent bow and arrow sets too!

Comment

Originally posted by jacob marley View Post
                  Que?.....Late August/early Sept. They are most delicious fresh but otherwise put them on the staging in greenhouse (away from the fluffy tailed rats) to dry and then in an earthen ware jar in the garage where they will store for months.

Comment

Thank you everyone.

Comment

I didn't realize that we had the climate for Hazel nuts (UK) I planted two small bushes a few months ago. Maybe I'll get some nuts one day.

Comment

Originally posted by greenhat View Post
                        I didn't realize that we had the climate for Hazel nuts (UK) I planted two small bushes a few months ago. Maybe I'll get some nuts one day.

Hell yeah!...look for Kent cobs or filberts for a larger nut.....but they grow in every hedgerow down here.

Comment

I quite like them when they are still green and at least then you can get them before the squirrels.

Ian

Comment

I've got a tree- and it's got plenty of green nuts on.
                            They are sold green in the shops here...how do you eat/shell them gojiberry???
                            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I only like them fresh really, You shell them...best when colour just turning. A lot came down in the winds yesterday but they are a bit too under-ripe still

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X