Shallots looked limp

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shallots looked limp

When i first took my allotment i spent so much time digging,removing weeds and riddling that the time was getting on for planting. So after planting 6 rows of early's i put in a row of shallots and two of onions then i kept planting potatoes after that.The problem i got was all were growing fine till the potatoes shot up and covered the shallots and onions when i dug up some potatoes i found the shallots looked limp and had not developed any more from the time the had been blocked from light.The shallots i lifted had split into 10-15 bulbs if i separate the bulbs will it be okay to dry them and reuse them next year
    Thanks
    sauzee

sauzee, that's what shallots are supposed to do. Just make more bulbs of the same size. It's onions that make one bigger one

Comment

Your shallots will make great pickled onions. Or dry them and use in casseroles, stirfry's etc.
      Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
      and ends with backache

Comment

Thanks for the replies but when i meant they had split into bulbs they were no bigger than an onion set about 1cm each and the tops had died down which i presume was because of no light.Since i have quite a few can they be reused next year
        Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by sauzee View Post
          the tops had died down which i presume was because of no light.Since i have quite a few can they be reused next year
          yes, they were starved of light. If they can't photosynthesise, they can't grow.

No, you can't use them next year. They will simply bolt.
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks Two Sheds will save me planting something that will be a waste of time

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X