Asparagus bearing seeds

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asparagus bearing seeds

There was me feeling very chuffed indeed that my 10 asparagus crowns had all produced their first little ferny growths this year.

BUT - some would appear to be female and have produced fruit/seeds on their ferns.

Are these a waste of time? Should I dig them up and stick new males in, or am I fussing about nothing?

AND will I have to watch out for these seeds falling off and germinating everywhere?

Thanks

Jimmer

I think that males tend to produce more spears than females but that some say the females are more tender.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Harvest some seed, grow on in pots until it flowers and you find out what it is then replace most of your females with males if you want, force the surplus in a greenhouse to extend your season the next year....

chrisc

Comment

Roughly what I do too and good correct advice. However, that is the ideal and quite a long term project.... and then I am a real enthusiast with 100+ crowns.

Growing from seed requires 2 years to reliably sex plants and probably five years till a harvest...not difficult but lots of continued watering, compost and care. So, with a small bed like yours I'd consider enjoying your bed for a while maybe starting another all male one but hold off on grubbing them out for forcing just yet.

I notice only a little difference in the quality of the spears, the yield or the size. As far as self seeding goes...you have to weed the bed anyway! The problem only comes if you leave the bed to become overcrowded, weedy and worked out.

Comment

Thanks for your help guys,

I reckon I'll see how it goes for a few years - but I'll also harvest some of the seed to see if I can grow a few more, jut for the sake of future expansion. I imagine this seed will have to be kept until next spring?? Or shall I have a bash at planting it now?

100 crowns...... still marveling at that!

Comment

Your supposed to plant in March/April but I have sown this late with ok results. Is the seed ripe yet? red wrinkly coats with black seeds inside....I'm sure I've got loads spare if you need.

I know...too many really but I have the land and all my family and friend love it...amazing how many favours barters I pay off with a bunch too! it goes I tell you!!

I brought five crowns 10 years ago, another 50, 7 years ago and have grown about another 60 from saved seed 12 best each year. Took a small harvest from the first of these this year.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X