wild garlic from seed

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wild garlic from seed

I've been out and about and have collected some wild garlic seed. The idea being that it gets planted in the garden.

So what should I do?

I could just scatter the seed, but I'm worried about it getting weeded out.

Or I could sow it in pot and pot on. But when?

Any ideas?
    Garden Grower
    Twitter: @JacobMHowe

I'd pop some in a pot now [presumably in the wild it would settle and germinate when ready]...and leave it outdoors for the winter.

Comment

Lol! Its not what you should do now, its what you should do after you've got it! Good luck!
      To see a world in a grain of sand
      And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

I've got some seed and I'm going to sow it in modules and then plant them right at the far end of the garden where they can't overun anything!
        Mad Old Bat With Attitude.

I tried jogging, but I couldn't keep the ice in my glass.

Comment

Beware, wild garlic spreads like fire in the right conditions. Make sure you limit the growth by potting it and not put it directly in your garden.

Comment

Originally posted by CimaDirapa View Post
            Beware, wild garlic spreads like fire in the right conditions. Make sure you limit the growth by potting it and not put it directly in your garden.
            And once it is growing make sure you remove the fading flower heads before they produce seed - or it will be everywhere..........

Comment

Better wild garlic than the ground alder currently living in the dark shaded area I have in mind!
              Garden Grower
              Twitter: @JacobMHowe

Comment

Good luck, just remember how these plants work in nature:

First the wild garlic is all over, one and a half month later they die down and guess who is the new ground cover champion? yes good old ground alder.

I think unless you eradicate the GA first they will live happily together.

Comment

I've planted wild garlic in my orchard under the trees... I don't mind if it spreads everywhere

Comment

Hello - my 1st post here!
                    I'd love some wild garlic, & there is plenty in the orchard next door, which I could ask to have a bit of......Is it better to have seeds, or could I dig up a pot-full and start from there?
                    Appreciate advice!
                    Thanks
                    Anni
                    Annie

compost of the future.........

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X