new potatoes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new potatoes

I love the taste of freshly dug potatoes, but how can I avoid skins splitting during the steaming process?
    Cheers, Sue.
    Last edited by suee; 09-07-2009, 11:36 AM.

Originally posted by suee View Post
    I love the taste of freshly dug potatoes, but how can I avoid skins splitting during the steaming process?
    Cheers, Sue.
    Why do you need to prevent splitting? They still taste as good!
    Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

I don't like them to split either. I like a smooth waxy spud. It's mainly down to variety. I like Charlotte and Aran Pilot for smooth waxiness.
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

YEY!!!! ...welcome back !!!!!

( note my profile location!!!!)

I'd never steamed spuds before I came here- and was very impressed with the result.
        However- I'd always peeled them. Last weekend we dug up our first Charlotte and they peeled in the way you described. I thought I'd over cooked them
        Could it be because they're new spuds- or do all spuds with skins left on split when steamed????

I'll be interested in what the others say- cos I wasn't too impressed with the dryness of the outer bit to be honest and had to roll them in tonnes of butter
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post

I'll be interested in what the others say- cos I wasn't too impressed with the dryness of the outer bit to be honest and had to roll them in tonnes of butter
          What a blow! (Dribble!)

I don't steam them - I boil gently and I scrape the papery skin off. I find them lovely and waxy - just how I like them for salad.
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I'd never steamed spuds before I came here- and was very impressed with the result.
            However- I'd always peeled them. Last weekend we dug up our first Charlotte and they peeled in the way you described. I thought I'd over cooked them
            Could it be because they're new spuds- or do all spuds with skins left on split when steamed????

Hi old friend! Hope you love the new location.

I've a suspicion that you have to leave the potatoes to really dry out hard before bagging them. No problem this year for a change! Just waiting for one of the experts to confirm & how etc. When I googled my problem, I came up with a different forum mesage saying after the skins have split, mash them up a little, then drizzle olive oil & crushed garlic over the top. Sounds good?
            Last edited by suee; 09-07-2009, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
              I don't like them to split either. I like a smooth waxy spud. It's mainly down to variety. I like Charlotte and Aran Pilot for smooth waxiness.
              Hi Flummery and thanks for your reply - I yearn for soft, white fleshed potatoes - something you just can't get round these parts. You'd really love the yellow fleshed waxy potatoes on sale around here I think!

Bon appetit,
              Sue

Comment

I gently boiled my Charlotte's tonight with their skins on...much creamier than steaming!!!!...maybe that's the answer for very new waxy spuds????

I've got some maris piper growing here at the mo...will let you know how they get on!!
                Any update on your potager suee???
                ...Cheshire butter/cream and the Norman butter/cream as opposed to oil????? ( ahhh....my poor liver..and cholesterol levels!!!)
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I gently boiled my Charlotte's tonight with their skins on...much creamier than steaming!!!!...maybe that's the answer for very new waxy spuds????

I've got some maris piper growing here at the mo...will let you know how they get on!!
                  Any update on your potager suee???
                  ...Cheshire butter/cream and the Norman butter/cream as opposed to oil????? ( ahhh....my poor liver..and cholesterol levels!!!)

I've sent you a private message as I doubt anyone else will be interested!Some successes - mainly tomatoes/beans. Lots of struggles.

Comment

I think potatoes straight from the ground will allways split their skins SueE.
                    But if it matters to you, keep them for 2 or 3 days before cooking. That lets the skins toughen up a bit.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

We've grown Nicola (blight resistant) and the 2 meals we've had, cooking them 'straight from the ground' was the point of the exercise. So the skins split, if you are careful not to overcook, it will stop there.
                      I boil spuds and steam the green veg over the spud boiling. Saves on energy, and the veg I've got in the garden take the same time to steam as the spuds take to boil, so that fits nicely.......
                      Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Oh, The grand old Duke of York he had ten thousand...........

Only early worth growing.......not impressed with the red skinned version though!
                        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Spuds boiled/steamed right away after lifting will split if done at the normal heat etc. Try doing them for a wee bit longer at reduced heat to the pot. The amount of reduction is same as "how long is a bit of string" I am afraid.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X