Favourite Basil recommendations?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favourite Basil recommendations?

I have only grown Genovese (Love it) and Purple Ruffles (Looks great, hated the extreme aniseed flavour).
    So what other types do the good Folks on the forum recommend?

Originally posted by COMPOST CORNER View Post
    I have only grown Genovese (Love it) and Purple Ruffles (Looks great, hated the extreme aniseed flavour).
    So what other types do the good Folks on the forum recommend?
    I'm growing spice basil, you can taste the basil flavor, but you also get cough candy... it sounds really strange.. but it works very well, and its not a big bushy plant, rather compact. The flowers are ever so pretty as well .

Comment

I am growing Purple Ruffles and Red Rubin and they are both like the herb equivalent of a tamagotchi, high maintenance! in my limited experience anyway. The purple ruffles in particular, I can't seem to get strong plants. The Red Rubin is stronger and I think they will make good plants when they eventually get to a decent size. I like the aniseed flavour when using them raw, but I prefer green basil in cooking. For my green basil I couldn't resist the plants for £1 each at the supermarket - I divided each of them into 4 pots and they have cropped consistently for 2 months and still going strong.
      There is a war going on for your mind. If you are thinking you are winning.

Comment

i find basil extremely difficult to grow...well in quantity anyway! Have been successful this year though with Meditteranean Medley and Bush Basil - although sowed lots of seeds for not as many plants as I'd have liked...unfortunately!
        "A cat sees no good reason why it should obey another animal, even if it does stand on two legs."

Comment

I have always struggled to keep basil alive outside and it has always gone quite leggy and spindly on the kitchen window cill. This year I have had much better success with Bush Basil and especially Greek Basil, both of which are thriving outside, with my Meditteranean medley not doing so well again by comparison.

Comment

I have only just put my Genovese Basil outside in the greenhouse/sunny patio. I keep it indoors until then. Some of my plants are now around 1m tall

Comment

I have found Thai sweet basil easy to grow. I am not having as much luck with Thai holy basil.

Comment

This year apart from the usual Genovese I decided to try Siam Queen and Mrs Burns lemon. Both were pathetically slow to get into growth, but now have made nice plants which are in a sheltered spot by the back door. The Siam Queen has a lovely taste of licorice, but the star is Mrs Burns, there is the usual Basil taste and then a massive hit of lemon appears behind it! I'll make this a must sow in future. Siam Queen on the left.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by cupcake; 11-07-2009, 09:43 AM.
                Mad Old Bat With Attitude.

I tried jogging, but I couldn't keep the ice in my glass.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X