Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just picked a punnet of blackcurrants.......

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just picked a punnet of blackcurrants.......

Already made blackcurrant jam, blackcurrant jelly and blackcurrant and yoghurt lollies this year.

So............What shall I do with em?
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Blackcurrant cordial?
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
      Blackcurrant cordial?
      Recipe on ere I suppose?

Not keen on Ribena though........................ but maybe home made is better?
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Blackcurrant sorbet?

Never made it from blackcurrants, but they are one of the 'classic' fruits for the purpose!
        Some sorbet recipes do not include egg white. I reckon those are not 'the real thing'.
        I think the proportions are half-a-pint of fruity syrup, including 4oz sugar, to 1 egg white, but not got recipe book to hand, so less than confident.
        There is a recipe in one of my cookbooks, but it is tidied away somewhere!
        Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
          Recipe on ere I suppose?
          Yup... http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...dial_4795.html
          Happy Gardening,
          Shirley

Comment

Well I'd suggest making wine, obviously.

3lb blackcurrants, 2-&-whatever-lb sugar, yeast enzyme & yeast.

Also, my big sis made blackcurrant and apple jam last year - tis yummy! Can ask her for the recipe if you want?

Comment

Can you combine with other summer fruits to make a summer-fruit jam?? Strawbs, rasps, blackcurrants maybe?

Comment

Apple and blackcurrant pie/crumble - yum!!
                Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

Originally posted by Hazel at the Hill View Post
                  Well I'd suggest making wine, obviously.

3lb blackcurrants, 2-&-whatever-lb sugar, yeast enzyme & yeast.

Also, my big sis made blackcurrant and apple jam last year - tis yummy! Can ask her for the recipe if you want?
                  On the wagon I'm afraid Hazel.................. Blackcurrant and apple jam sounds good though!
                  Last edited by Snadger; 01-07-2009, 07:03 PM.

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by OverWyreGrower View Post
                    Can you combine with other summer fruits to make a summer-fruit jam?? Strawbs, rasps, blackcurrants maybe?
                    I have rasps just starting, redcurrants now and whitecurrants and goosegogs nearly ready.
                    Probably best to freeze each individually until I've decided what to concoct methinks?

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Finally did something with the blackcurrants before they went mouldy!

I made my last batch of elderflower cordial (Had to take a ladder half way along a field to get to the top of the only elderflower bush that had any flowers left!) I made half a bucket full..............and added the crushed blackcurrants.

Hopefully it will turn out to look a bit like the pink lemonade you can buy................and HOPEFULLY it will taste a lot better than the pink lemonade you can buy!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

You can make pink elderflower cordial with pink elderflowers. Made it myself once, tastes slighty more delicate than normal elderflower.
                        Current Executive Board Members at Ollietopia Inc:
                        Snadger - Director of Poetry
                        RedThorn - Chief Interrobang Officer
                        Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support
                        Jeanied - Olliecentric Eulogy Minister
                        piskieinboots - Ambassador of 2-word Media Reviews

WikiGardener a subsidiary of Ollietopia Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by OllieMartin View Post
                          You can make pink elderflower cordial with pink elderflowers. Made it myself once, tastes slighty more delicate than normal elderflower.
                          Well there you go..............I didn't know you could get pink elderflowers!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                            Well there you go..............I didn't know you could get pink elderflowers!
                            I think they grow on the garden ornamental version with the 'black' leaves. Seen it in a few NGS gardens.
                            Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X