Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strawberries in hanging baskets

Hi all,

I have some strawberries that I bought already planted in a hanging basket.
    the plant is doing well and we have already had some to eat

but I have noticed that the plant is growing more and more "runners" (don't even know if this is the proper name, but they are long stalk growing from the center of the main plant).
    what should I do with those ? is is ok to leave them hanging ? there are leaves starting to form on some of those "runners" ? or do I need to cut and repot ? if yes, then how do I do it ? where do I cut ? ect...

thanks for your help...

Stephanie

Originally posted by tweety View Post
    Hi all,

I have some strawberries that I bought already planted in a hanging basket.
    the plant is doing well and we have already had some to eat

but I have noticed that the plant is growing more and more "runners" (don't even know if this is the proper name, but they are long stalk growing from the center of the main plant).
    what should I do with those ? is is ok to leave them hanging ? there are leaves starting to form on some of those "runners" ? or do I need to cut and repot ? if yes, then how do I do it ? where do I cut ? ect...

thanks for your help...

Stephanie
    I've been cutting mine off as my plants are in their first year and I want them to spend their energy rooting and fruiting rather than trying to keep some runners alive too. BUT I am just a beginner, so I could be doing the wrong thing.
    http://www.weeveggiepatch.blogspot.com

Comment

a bit of research and reading later and I found a thread with all my answers...
      http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...hat_33469.html

thanks !

Comment

I found quite a few older threads about strawberry runners (using the search button)
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

It depends on how healthy the new plants are whether I let them make runners in the first year - most of mine have been plants with huge roots from T&M so I let them all make one or two runners each in the first year. But, I got a few plants from J Parkers last year and they were tiny (newly rooted runners I think) and I cut off all the runners that came from them. They're healthy strong plants now, so I'll let them go this year Hopefully I'll have a full bed next year, yummy!
          Last edited by SarzWix; 27-06-2009, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Hi,

I have decided to keep the strongest runners and pot them and I have removed all the other ones...

I now have 3 runners planted in smallish pots. when do you cut them off the main plant ? some were already developping some kind of roots before I planted them. so should I leave them attached to the main plant or not ? if yes, is it a question of days, weeks ?

sorry if this sounds a bit stupid but I need to learn ! :-)

thanks

Comment

i have some strawberries in hanging baskets and as it is the first time for me then everything is an experiment, i have just folded the runners back on themselves and pinned them down with pegs, who knows if it will work but nothing ventured etc...
              May the road rise to meet you,
              May the wind be always at your back,
              May the sun shine warm upon your face,
              The rains fall soft upon your fields and,
              Until we meet again, May God hold you in the palm of His hand

Comment

Bigt,

If you mean you have pinned the runners into the hanging basket compost, may I suggest you make a slight change. Fill a 3" pot with compost place it on the hanging basket and pin your new plants to be in that.

It will be obvious when they have taken plenty of green growth.

Strawbs are like weeds when they get going and your hanging basket would soon be over crowded.

Colin
                Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                  Bigt,

If you mean you have pinned the runners into the hanging basket compost, may I suggest you make a slight change. Fill a 3" pot with compost place it on the hanging basket and pin your new plants to be in that.

It will be obvious when they have taken plenty of green growth.

Strawbs are like weeds when they get going and your hanging basket would soon be over crowded.

Colin
                  thanks pots

i only have three original plants in the basket and now two runners so there is a bit of room

if i get any further runners i will do as you suggest
                  May the road rise to meet you,
                  May the wind be always at your back,
                  May the sun shine warm upon your face,
                  The rains fall soft upon your fields and,
                  Until we meet again, May God hold you in the palm of His hand

Comment

Thank you all for this thread. I am growing strawberries in baskets for the first time and was pondering the runner question just this morning

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X