Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pollinating aubergines - jiggle them?

Hi,

I have a few aubergine flowers on plants in my greenhouse. One of the windows is open all the time (broken) so insects may or may not be going in there. I have put a basket of marigolds in to try and entice bees.

If that doesn't work though, is it true that to pollinate them by hand I just need to jiggle the flowers a bit? I read a few conflicting stories about it. Some people say there are male and female flowers, and others say that each flower has male and female parts and it just needs a shake to get the pollen to move where it's needed.

Margaret

I haven't yet managed to get an aubergine past the flower stage, this year I plan to use a paintbrush to be certain.
    I'm sure someone who has actually managed to grow an aubergine will be along soon and can enlighten us both as to the best method

Comment

That will be me watching this thread too... I used a paintbrush earlier before....
      http://onegardenersadventures.blogspot.com/ updated 10-03-2010 with homebrew pics & allotment pics

Comment

Of all the things I've read, this seems to be the most convincing - hopefully the RHS have their facts right!

Royal Horticultural Society - Gardening Advice: Pollination of Tender Glasshouse Crops

Comment

Originally posted by magz.mccarthy View Post
          Of all the things I've read, this seems to be the most convincing - hopefully the RHS have their facts right!

Royal Horticultural Society - Gardening Advice: Pollination of Tender Glasshouse Crops
          Thanks Magz. That looks hopeful. I have 6 plants so will try 3 shaken and 3 paintbrushed.

Just need some flowers now

Comment

I've been using a paintbrush, we're having some baby aubergines for tea so must work. I don't about the other methods.. a jiggle might work just as well lol.

Comment

I've tried much less delicacy this year (after two years with no aubergines) - am jabbing inside the flowers impatiently with my finger. Wonder if a paintbrush would be a little easier/nicer to the plant though!

Comment

Hi, am having similar problem, please help! Baby bell aubergine plant, producing beautiful little purple flowers, get so excited fruits will come, then the stems fall off! Quite tragic really. Do you have any tips to get to fruit? Thanks

Comment

Hi, I'm new to this game so please make allowances. I grew aubergines last year and did'nt do anything other than mist and feed them regularly. When you get five fruits forming I think you're supposed to nip off any more flowers and any side shoots. I only got two last year so I'm hoping for more this time.
                  Nana Rabbit

Comment

Aubergines are self pollinating - but you can give them a tickle with a paint brush if you like.
                    The real secret to getting fruit set is temperature - they like it hot, hot, hot and humid.
                    I tried for years and got nothing but the flowers falling off. This year I have them in a conservatory and they are fruiting. To aid humidity you can spray them with water or stand them in a tray of damp gravel.
                    Attached Files

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I have 29 plants in my tunnel - oppposite my cukes - so its the hottest and most humid part of the tunnel, and they are just starting to flower now - will keep you informed as to whether or not they actually decide to set fruit.
                      Rat

British by birth
                      Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                      http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Alice, when you say damp gravel - daft question, but how damp is damp enough? I have my aubergines sat on a gravel tray, and I fill it up till the water is high enough to just touch the bottoms of the pots (they don't seem to be sodden, and seem to be growing happily enough).

But would they do just as well if I just kept the gravel damp, rather than swimming? (I do wonder about whether it'll turn into my own little mosquito breeding ground!)

Comment

hi i have just joined and was reading posts about baby belle aubergines. we have got 2 plants only one baby belle, we have lost about 5 flowers on the baby belle. when i read about using a paintbrush on the flowers i got my husband to do it and all this dust(presume its pollen) all fell off so will keep everybody posted. thanks for the tips

Comment

Originally posted by westwiltspatio View Post
                            Alice, when you say damp gravel - daft question, but how damp is damp enough? I have my aubergines sat on a gravel tray, and I fill it up till the water is high enough to just touch the bottoms of the pots (they don't seem to be sodden, and seem to be growing happily enough).

But would they do just as well if I just kept the gravel damp, rather than swimming? (I do wonder about whether it'll turn into my own little mosquito breeding ground!)
                            I water mine each morning from the bottom. Whatever water is not taken up within the first couple of hours sits in the tray & just aids with the humidity.
                            If on extreme hot days like last week I will top the tray up. Never more than 1 inch above the bottom of the pot. And i spray weekly with seaweed extract.
                            They have also had a bit of sulphate of potash many weeks ago.
                            Never mind the TWADDLE here's the SIX PETALS.

http://vertagus.blogspot.com/ Annual seedlings.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X