Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Courgettes...so many flowers!

Hi All,
    I'm very new to this gardening thing and have been so proud that I have managed to grow anything from seed (being the least green-fingered person I know)
    I have got 3 courgette plants at the suggested distance in a raised bed; I keep getting lots of flower but only one courgette on one plant and now one on another. I was told my plants would go nuts but am only getting token efforts.
    What am I doing wrong?
    Hev
    x

me too i may get one courgette for every 7 or 8 flowers i presume they are not getting pollinated ie bees xx

Comment

Tis still really early for courgettes.

They usually have male flowers for a fair while before the female ones - and when you do get the first female ones [the ones with the baby courgettes behind the flower] the first few drop off when small, or start rotting....I'd not worry about it unless the plant isn't growing any new leaves or flowers.

Comment

Give them a few more weeks. Once they start cropping proper you'll understand why folk say they go nuts.
        http://plot62.blogspot.com/

Comment

And you can eat the male flowers. Never fancied it myself, but my crazy friend goes mad for them.
          Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

They do say that the first few fruits are a bit sporadic, but once they get going in a few weeks, you'll have courgettes coming out of your ears!! I heartily recommend the book 'What will I do with all those courgettes' by Elaine Borish. Happy eating.

Comment

In a few weeks you'll be inundated with courgettes - start thinking of what to do with them now. Growing two plants (there's only two of us) - last year we only grew one plant but that was more than enough for us - look like my neighbours etc will be getting some of the residual ones.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X