Earthing up potatoes (or not)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earthing up potatoes (or not)

I,ve torn my left rotator cuff muscle and its very sore trying to earth up my main crop potatoes. If I just leave them what will happen? will they just produce small or no potatoes, or will they just keel over and die off? I have way more earlier potatoes than I'll need but It would be useful to know.
    Attia of the julii

you earth up spuds to stop the light reaching them and turning them green & poisonous.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

As an alternative to earthing up, you can mulch instead, with whatever you have got ... I'm using wet newspapers this year, last year I used grass clippings and weeds.

Comment

Yr not the boggy 2 sheds off the Terry Wogan Show are you ??
        Attia of the julii

Comment

I'm sorry to hear about your injury.

But, glad you asked the question as I'm interested in the answers, myself. Mulching with something else sounds like much lighter work!

Comment

I don't bother earthing up or mulching (lifes to short) and just accept that I get a few green tatties! Still get good crops though!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

You could just empty a few bags of compost on top of they, sprinkle it over the top, thats not too demanding
              Those that forget the past are condemned to repeat it!

Comment

It's not cheap either, Edwardo

Comment

Shirley I would have thought after your starring role on TV last night on The Beechgrove Garden they would have taken care of that for you.

Your allotment was looking great by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by amandaandherveg View Post
                    Shirley I would have thought after your starring role on TV last night on The Beechgrove Garden they would have taken care of that for you.

Your allotment was looking great by the way.
                    what's the beechgrove garden and were you really on it shirley??

Comment

I have mulched mine with straw. I can buy bales for £1.50 so it's quite economical. Have not earthed up for two years now cos of arthritis.
                      History teaches us that history teaches us nothing. - Hegel

Comment

can't seem to find straw anywhere at the minute in my area, was planning and mulching courgettes squash and brasicas with wet newspaper and straw, the allotment has had a huge delivery of manure on a pay a tenner use a much you want basis so i may go for that instead of straw

first year growing so will this be ok to mulch the spuds with i hve earthed up most of but some are still smallish my earlies seem to be bushing out low to the ground but my main crop are quite tall.

Comment

i didnt earth up last year and lost a couple per plant to green, a couple to slugs and the rest were fine. as its only me, putting 40-50% in the compost bin didnt bother me. this year i have 3 beds.....2 i have used cut grass to 'earth up', the 3rd i havent done anything to again. am going to see what the difference is between the 2 when i havest.
                          Finding Home

Comment

Mine aren't being earthed up this year because the OH planted them so deep that they hardly seem to have any foliage anyway! I don't think green spuds will be too much of a problem, but digging them up at harvest time probably will

Comment

Even if you earth them up you're still likely to get a couple of green spuds on the sides of your mini volcano of soil!
                              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X