My first ever Beetroot harvest!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first ever Beetroot harvest!!

I am so pleased about my first harvest of Beetroot.

I have decided to slowly boil them and jar them up with vinger, cannot wait to try them. The next lot will be roasted

Here are the little beauties boiling away

Whilst digging through my Beets I came across these they are white! What are they? Turnips? I have no idea!!

Thanks
    Attached Files
    Those that forget the past are condemned to repeat it!

How exciting for you! I grew White beets last year and they were delicious. My beets so far this year have been pants so am resowing. Good for you. Hope they taste great. Try roasting some tho. They're delicious that way.

Comment

Great looking Beet Edwardo, looking forward to pulling a few at the allotment this weekend.Will probably just boil them,let them cool and eat them in a nice salad...

Comment

They look good - I love beetroot! I had a white one in my recent harvest too. I decided it was an albino mutant & cooked it up with the others. It tasted fine & beetrooty.

Comment

Wow...they look fab! Looks massive too! You must be so chuffed.

I pulled up my first baby beetroot this evening and boiled it up before slicing into a salad. I've never liked beetroot as I associate it with the rancid pickled stuff we got at school, and only grew them as I got the seeds free.

I have to say, I may become a convert!
          http://www.weeveggiepatch.blogspot.com

Comment

Careful Glaurung, I work in Felixstowe..! Might come and pinch some of ya Beets...

Comment

Well Done! They look amazing! The leafy tops are really tasty too! I stir-fried them and they taste like spinach!

Am looking forward to harvesting our beets too! Leafy tops are filling out well!

Comment

Great lookers I harvested a load the other day and they are all in Jars now
                Taste great

Well Done
                Cheers .... John

Web link to our Allotment website http://lawsonsallotment.btck.co.uk/

PS my plot is 9 shown on the Plot Holders Pictures

Comment

Thanks everyone I just finished boiling them and they are cooling. Going to pickle them with some of my thyme to see if it gives any additional flavour.

I am so chuffed it makes all the digging and building so worth while. Got a load more coming along nicely will keep some for roasting as suggested by some of the vines and then give my sister a nice present of home made pickled Beet

Anyone know where to get cheap Kilner jars? Are they very expensive?

Thanks again

Comment

Pickled and dusted!

Next will be the shallots with pepper corns.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Edwardo82 View Post
                      Anyone know where to get cheap Kilner jars? Are they very expensive?

Thanks again
                      There was a thread on the Top Tips page about cheap Kilner Jars......I believe it's was Asda Ł1

Here's the link to the thread......
                      http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ars_34330.html

Comment

Cheers Lemon!!!

Comment

wow! well done it's such a cool feeling when you produce your own food (there's one in the eye for the supermarkets! lol)

I've got some on the go at the moment. unfortunately i cant remember what date i put them in

any idea how long it takes from planting to harvesting?

Comment

They look great!

I harvested mine today, I grew cylindra and have done really well.
                            My mind works like lightning, One brilliant flash and it is gone!

Comment

Well dragonaxe I reckon they have taken about 10 to 12 weeks from sowing to picking

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X