Self Set Currants

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self Set Currants

Anyone got any experience of self set currants, I had two come up in my plot las year, so potted and grew them on, now decent looking bushes 18 inches plus tall. Not sure what they'll produce. Do Currants come true or do you get lots of hybrids as per worcesterberry, jostaberry etc.
    Might get some fruit next year ? as I only had black currants at the time, guess that's most likely what they are, but again birds could have bought in somthing else, and the leaves look different to my existing Black currants.
    Just wondered if anyone else had grown self set currants

No idea mugsy....but it will be interesting if you grow them on and find out. One thing about seedlings is they will be virus free!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

selfset currant bushes

If anyone is interested, it seems that self set currants come pretty true one of the ones I found growing in my veg patch a couple of seasons ago has produced some pretty good black currants this year. It's still probably easier to strike cuttings from 'known' good varieties.
      But I guess if you do come across seedlings popping up on your plot, it's a form of free currant bushes.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X