Fainting Squashes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fainting Squashes

It sounds odd but I don't know how else to describe it.

We have had a few great days of weather - fairly warm - and while I was preping the ground I was planting them out in I let the Squashes and Pumpkin plants harden out in the plastic greenhouse I had. Last night I left them out on top of the ground under a bubblewrap polytunnel.

Well today I planted them into the soil under the bubblewrap and they have "fainted."

Is it all over or will they recover?

I also planted two extras under plastic bottles and they seem okay but I thought the bubble wrap would keep them warm.

Any advise?

My cucumber and pumpkin did the same. I think they sometimes go into shock when they're transplanted and sulk a bit. I left mine, gave them some water and they soon perked up so I wouldn't worry too much at the moment.
    AKA Angie

Comment

Does sound liek the sulks.... some of mine have got it right now and some of them haven't.... squashes (and all the other cucurbits really) are like that..... generally if they've hit the side of the pot when they get planted out they'll moan about it for a bit, of course if they haven't hit the side of the pot then they can be a sod to plant out cos there's nothing holding the compost together.....

My last cucrbit went in today.... the famil are having a pumpkin competition..... so half a builders bag of freshish horse poo in th ebottom of a hole, top with the soil from the hole, sprinkle with chicken pellets adn the remains of a pack of BFB, add on the last of the a growbag and the tag end of a bag of MP compost, recover with the weed mulch, plant pumkin through that with a 1 gallon water bottle next to it to make watering easier if I have to.....

chrisc
      chrisc

Comment

sulking squashes! I love it - it sounds better than fainting.

Well they should be warm enough, they've got a lovely mix of chicken manure, home grown and shop bought compost. If they don't grow I will consider them ungrateful wretches.

Comment

Plenty of water! That should buck them up. When I transplant things I try to give them a day in the shade. When things go out in their final position you can't do that. Keep them well watered and they should pick up.
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Bubble wrap is not a good choice as it will be far too hot in a hot day. They do need ventilation to keep the temperature down.

Comment

My Sweetheart melon has done exactly the same. I was worried I had over/under watered but noticed the wilt the day after planting. I gave a weak drink of liquid seaweed to perk her up a bit.

Comment

There is 'wilting point' and 'permanent wilting point'.......it depends which one of these they have reached really? My guess is wilting point, in which case they should pick up once watered!
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

well the sulks are over - went out to check them before they got their watering today and they had perked up a bit - there is one which is completely uncovered as it was another "extra" and I didn't have the heart to bin it and it is looking better too.

Gave them another watering and covered them over again.

Just a query about the bubble wrap - it's open at either end over a few hoops. It's not THAT hot in the west of Scotland and the 20 degrees we have been enjoying recently is rare in the extreme. I had read that to have any chance of growing here they need some additional protection. Once they are established should I only cover them over at night?

Comment

sorry realfood just noticed you aren't that far away from myself. I'm a couple of miles outside Paisley, maybe just a few degrees less than in the city.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X