Huge blackcurrants?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huge blackcurrants?

I have three blackcurrant bushes and although they are probably named varieties I can't for the life of me remember what they were. One of them has a very open growth pattern, ideal for picking and the blackcurrants are the size of grapes. The branches are laden, so much so that the plant looks like a weeping blackcurrant.
    Anyone any ideas of the variety? Whatever it is I will be taking some cuttings once it's finished fruiting as long as the flavour is as good as the crop!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Hi Snadger,if the berries are very large might it be a josta berry? (cross between Blackcurrant and gooseberry) if it is blackcurrant it could be Ben Connan.
    "We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses."-- Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by T8Ter View Post
      Hi Snadger,if the berries are very large might it be a josta berry? (cross between Blackcurrant and gooseberry) if it is blackcurrant it could be Ben Connan.
      Funny that, I think there was a 'Ben' in among them, I thought of Ben Lomond so I was probably half right!
      They were all bought as blackcurrants btw, unless there was a mix up at the supplier!
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

My large fruiting blackcurrant (won 1st prize at the village show with them last year ) is Ben Sarek. Really massive fruits and a great flavour.
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Sounds like the one I have which is Ben Connan, it is also loaded. The others that I have were attacked by aphids and have not done much. Killed the aphids with a home made garlic spray.....
          Karen

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool
          Even a journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step!

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
            My large fruiting blackcurrant (won 1st prize at the village show with them last year ) is Ben Sarek. Really massive fruits and a great flavour.
            Do the branches grow nigh on horizontal Flum, and with a lot less leaves than the others?

Diversify & prosper

Comment

That's the bunny!

Comment

Like this?
                Attached Files

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Well that certainly looks like mine. But I suspect they all look a bit similar?
                  Last edited by Flummery; 15-06-2009, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X