starting fennel

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starting fennel

Is it o.k to start fennel in root trainers and then pot out later? I've tried two direct sowings and slugs have had every single one [same thing last year...had to buy fennel from sainsburys!] cheers Chris.

its not too late to direct sow fennel,only sowed mine 2 weeks ago, umbels(parsley family) dislike root disturbance so transplanting invariably leads to them bolting...im having very little trouble from slugs this year, im putting it down to my new raised beds made from old scaffolding boards, the cement must be keeping them off..

Comment

Oh well, I'm growing Fennel for the first time and I did them in modules, I'll see what happens. They've had to go in pots now as there's no room yet as I can't eat the potatoes fast enough... My parsley hasn't minded being potted up twice so fingers crossed!
      Sue

Comment

When you say Fennel do you mean Florence Fennel or Common or Bronze Fennel (the herb).
        I start both off in modules and transplant out - no real problems, so long as you don't leave them in the cells too long. I finished planting out the last of my first 300 last night. Have more to sow now.
        Florence Fennel can be grown to maturity in 5" pots so no real reason why you need to wait for spare ground.
        Fennel the herb can also be sown in modules and then potted on or transplanted with no real problems, though the same applies re leaving it too long - they develop quite long and sturdy tap roots and these have to develop properly for the plant to thrive,
        One other thing, don't plant Fennel near Dill - they don't like each other, though they may look similar.
        Rat

British by birth
        Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
        http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X