Carrots Making me Loopy...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrots Making me Loopy...

I cannot get a single carrot seed to germinate this year....usually I sow once and up they all come like good little carrot seeds....this year I have been through 4 packets of seeds over 8 weeks and NOTHING!!!!

Anyone else having problems?

Nope, I have carrots sussed now.
    - sow in a wet drill
    - cover with multi purpose compost
    - cover everything with net
    - protect from slugs
    Last edited by Two_Sheds; 10-06-2009, 03:37 PM. Reason: slug warfare
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I am having problems - every time I find the seeds it starts to rain or blow a gale. Every time the weather is good and I have a bit of time and energy, I can't find the seeds again
      Happy Gardening,
      Shirley

Comment

could it be birds eating the seeds? I have sowed so many that the birds would all be 21 stone....

I have tried wet drill too....even hot water....

NADA!

Will try a new bag of compost next...

Comment

Pound to a penny it's slugs scoffing them as they germinate.

I have followed Two_Sheds method, and have had your results.

Comment

Mine have been a bit pathetic, but I thought I may have sown TOO thinly. Usually the opposite.
            "Happiness cannot come from without. It must come from within. It is not what we see and touch or that which others do for us which makes us happy; it is that which we think and feel and do, first for the other fellow and then for ourselves." Helen Keller

Comment

Mine were VERY slow to germinate and took two to three weeks! I'd just about given up on them!
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Is it warm enough for germination? We have had some great weather but with colder spells in between.....

Comment

Slugs like Hazel said.

I sowed more today, last night, the night before last and another batch in a month or so.

Comment

I've only had about 4 carrots from 6 different sowings

I'll try again with Two Shed's method this weekend, if nothing I give up on carrots

Comment

I sowed my carrots as start of may, covered them with a plant cover until the seedlings came through for warmth and protection- took about 2-3 weeks and they seem to be growing quite well now
                      My Album, Progress so Far: -
                      http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ss-so-far.html

Comment

I sowed my carrots in a big raised bed which was covered for the first month, with slug pellets down and they have germinated well. Also tried the toilet roll method in the greenhouse simultaneously and these have now been planted out but not as big as the direct sowings, but are still growing.

Comment

I sowed finger carrots in a Morrisons bucket and Parmex in a plastic pound shop trough, left them in unheated GH. Took about two weeks to germinate, romping away now, going to sow another lot this weekend, and then every couple of weeks.

Comment

Hi SouthCoastVegMan

Mine have all come up great almost ready to harvest
                            They are Chantenay carrots sown in the middle of March in Modules on windowcill waited till they were about 3"-4" tall then planted them next to the Beets and Onions
                            The carrots are about 3 to 4 inches long now so will be giving them a taster on Sunday I think

I agree with Hazel it sounds like slugs
                            We are very lucky around here we don't get many slugs but if i wanted i could fill a bucket with snails and fortunately they are easier to spot

Good luck with your next lot
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by johninblackpool; 11-06-2009, 06:52 PM.
                            Cheers .... John

Web link to our Allotment website http://lawsonsallotment.btck.co.uk/

PS my plot is 9 shown on the Plot Holders Pictures

Comment

I'm with TS method and can cheerfully say that I always have a bumper carrot crop throughout the year whether in bowls, buckets or the covered raised bed. Keep trying SouthCoastVegMan and keep doing a Slughunt, something must be eating them!
                              Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X