Stupid French Beans

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid French Beans

My French Beans don't seem to understand that they are meant to climb up the frame I have built to support them.

Should I tie them up or leave alone ?

Nature at it's most amusing eh????

Yup- you'll need to run some horizontalish string sort of wrapped around the frame. I don't tie in each one individually - just sort of intertwine them around the canes with the string acting as a side support.
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I'd just encourage them a bit, loosely wrap them around the cane and they usually get the idea and do it properly for themselves.
      Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

An afterthought.....
        Are they climbing French beans???? If not they don't actually need staking. ( although I'm aware some peeps like to give them a bit of support- I plant mine close together to support each other.)

Comment

Beans will only grab in one direction. I think it's anticlockwise, so if you are trying to encourage them to twist round a cane and they keep undoing themselves try the other direction. Again, that is if they are climbing and not dwarf beans

Comment

Anticlockwise viewed from above or from below?
            Tour of my back garden mini-orchard.

Comment

I'm sure I've read a similar discussion a few years ago- and the conclusion seemed to be that certain types of beans will rotate one way..and always will, even in the southern hemisphere, and others wind the other way- always.
              Something to do with the genetics of the beans.

I'd be interesting if peeps say what they are growing, and which direction- so we can test out that theory.

I can't say as yet as mine are only at the 2nd true leaf stage!!!

Comment

So far as I know french and runners both go anti-clockwise. And that's viwed from the front of the cane, seeing as I'm a short-*rse and couldn't possibly look down from above the cane

Comment

Looking from the side // is anticlockwise (if you're looking from above) if that helps!!!

Comment

mine are going anticlockwise viewed from the side. I'm growing them up a rose arch.

Comment

Mine are going in different directions

Comment

What varieties are you both growing????

Comment

will have to check the seed packets as I can't remember

Comment

I often have this problem, it's worse if it's a bit windy and the stems can't work out where to go while being moved around all the time.
                            I use a bit of string and tie up the first bit, when it's anchored they usually go straight up.
                            Anticlockwise I think
                            "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Surely it doesn't matter from direction or angle you view it, anticlockwise is still anticlockwise?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X