Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carrots not worked

Hi

I planted some carrots in a container last year maybe Sept time to be able to pick early this year, in one container they were fine but in another all there is is a tiny carrot inedible and lots of foliage going to seed. Have they just not grown enough? any tips would be great for planting on containers as I want to grow some more

thanks!

September is a bit late for sowing carrots although about now is a good time to sow maincrop carrots!
    Being a biennial, carrots WILL set seed in there second year after overwintering!
    Last edited by Snadger; 02-06-2009, 08:08 AM.
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

many thanks, I will start my maincrops them, cheers

Comment

carrots not worked

I left some carrots in from last year. Dug them up, decent size - tough as old boots.
        There's pleasure sure in being mad that only madmen know - Anon

Comment

There is a coupke of varieties bred for over-wintering, I think Nantes Frubund is one of them, but as Snadger says, to a carrot the second year is for flowering, so as soon as it starts to warm up in Spring there's the risk of them going up to seed. You were lucky to get a container full that were ok

Comment

My nantes frubund are disappointing. Sown in tubs in November they looked great leaf wise but they've just started producing flower stalks so I pulled a few up and all that's underneath is an inedible woody 5mm x 2" pale yellow root.

On the other hand my purple dragon carrot, planted the same time but keep inside is about 1" across and 4" long... looked like it would have grown more if I hadn't eaten it too.

Comment

thanks, yes it was the Nantes Frubund I grew just like tamsin, little hard carrots inedible. I was lucky to get some others, there must be a reason they were so different. I have never heard of purple dragon, I presume it is purple?

thanks everyone

Comment

Yep, orange in the middle though:

I'm going to feed my frubunds to the rabbits then try purple ones in the tubs. I'd only done a couple to see how they worked.. wish I'd done more now!

Comment

hey they look good, my other nantes frubunds were like your purple one, they were really nice, but I only sowed 3. my others just like your tiddlers though

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X